Supplementing Ca easily

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pzuzu

AC Members
Sep 23, 2005
Anyone know which is the easiest Ca supplement to purchase not on the internet? Is there something I can pick up at the local pharmacy or hardware store, etc.? I'm trying to get started on dosing my ferts ASAP and it's my missing ingredient. If you do know of something, please tell me both the name and the chemical name plus abbreviation (ex. CO2, carbon dioxide, etc.)

Thanks!!!
Fernando

pzuzu

AC Members
Sep 23, 2005
I think I'm going to answer my own post here.

Seachem Equilibrium? It seems that's not all it's good for. I just found this on the seachem.com:

Guaranteed Analysis (Amounts per 1 g)
Soluble Potassium (K20) 23.0%
Calcium (Ca) 8.06%
Magnesium (Mg) 2.41%
Soluble Iron (Fe) 0.11%
Soluble Manganese (Mn) 0.06%

Derived from: potassium sulfate, calcium sulfate, magnesium sulfate, ferric sulfate, manganese sulfate.

Probably not news to everyone, but it might help a dummy like me. :)

pzuzu

AC Members
Sep 23, 2005
Thanks jhj, just what I was looking for. I didn't want to bother with equilibrium since I've already invested money into the chemicals individually. All I was missing was the Ca... now I know what to get AND where... yay! I think then I'm about ready to begin the new tank!

Thanks again!
Fernando

pzuzu

AC Members
Sep 23, 2005
Oh, and is that Calcium Chloride CaCl2, CaCl2.2H2O, or CaCl2.6H2O?

Thanks!

Jay

AC Members
Feb 16, 2004
Eastern Shore Md
Visit site
Good question! If you are using one of the many fert information charts, you need to dial in the correct formula.

I buy all my dry ferts from Greg Watson and his is CaCl2.2H2O.

Just my 2 cents

Jay

pzuzu

AC Members
Sep 23, 2005
Just great! Apparently, I'm gonna have to order the CaCl2 after all because they don't keep driveway de-icer in stock in my area, cuz no one really needs it. Didn't think of that... They told me I could check at a store north of GA...yeah, thanks for the help buddy (not you jhj, the store employee.)

:)

Off to Greg Watson I shall go.

Thanks again!

jhj

William Fontaine DeLaTeur Dauterive
Oct 30, 2005
Columbus, OH
pzuzu said:
Just great! Apparently, I'm gonna have to order the CaCl2 after all because they don't keep driveway de-icer in stock in my area, cuz no one really needs it. Didn't think of that... They told me I could check at a store north of GA...yeah, thanks for the help buddy (not you jhj, the store employee.)

:)

Off to Greg Watson I shall go.

Thanks again!
How about just getting the GH boster, it will provide you wit both Ca and Mg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store