Swimming Black Specks in Aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AFIZZ

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
I found little black bug-like things swimming in my aquarium with my guppie. I cleaned the tank and they have not yet appeared again. Does anybody know what they might have been. They didn't seem to harm my fish thank goodness. Any ideas?

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Add plants recently? Native terristrial plants?

Not sure, this is a new one to me, but if I find a picture of the bugs I think they are I will post it.

EDIT: Until I find it - It should be in the arachnid/aphid family

Water conditions?

Also do an immediate large WC (50%+) get that gravel vac out too!!

Stupid question, but I'll ask - Was you Guppy pregnant?

Last edited:

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Not what I was looking for, but...

Again I would suspect mites, aphids, etc. We need more information, or I'm just fishing and could be WAY Off!

These are terristrial var. (water-borne are MUCH smaller and detials cannot be made out unless with a lens), but you may have the 1st nymph stage:

Black_Bug Life-Cycle.jpg image44.jpg

Last edited:

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
little black bug-like things swimming in my aquarium
without a picture, a hundred guesses might not produce an identification of your 'bug'. it might be Bourletiella - spring tails, or daphnia, or water mites or ------

AFIZZ

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
This wasn't actually my tank, and unfortunately the little critters were disposed of before any photos were taken. We just really wanted to figure it out. Especially when there is only one Guppie that has been in the tank for 2 years-so that really wasn't a dumb question about it being pregnant. That was my first ? ( unless I'm dumb too) The only other thing in the tank is a resident snail that has been there for 3 years. No real plants. I was just hoping it would be more obvious to you pro's out there, but alas....that is all the background that I have for ya. Thanks for the help everybody!

abh19

AC Members
Mar 31, 2007
Probably came in on some plants... if it looked like little round brown/black dots swimming around in "hopping" fashing, it was probably daphnia. But yeah, you need more description in terms of size... could you see the legs... etc.

There are a lot of little "bugs" that the fish like to eat.

The_lad

Registered Member
Nov 27, 2021
Guys, is it something like this? I found them as well... But not sure if they're tetra babies.

IMG_20211127_105338.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Welcome to AC!

The_lad, this is a very very old thread. Start a new 1 with better pics please & we'll try to help. There's a new thread box in the upper right corner.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store