swollen? cory

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AMiR UNC

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
One of my albino cories looks a little swollen in the belly. I don't think its dropsy b/c no protruding scales. It just looks like he ate a lot or maybe its getting fat with eggs??? When females are getting ready to breed do they get swollen?

Any ideas...tank params are fine, all other cories 9 total are fine...have had them for around 4 months.

Thanks

yannfulliquet

Hypancistrus Lover
Aug 23, 2002
Hi!
How big are your Cory?
Femaledoes get a big belly when they are full of eggs, the belly is sort of pinky-white form inside.
Cheers
Yann

AMiR UNC

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
the one that has the big belly is an albino around 1.5 inches (~4 cm).

The area that is swollen is about .4inch (~1cm) across and does look white as compared to rest of the pinkish body.

So you think she is full of eggs? Also, can the "bronze" and "albino" varieties of aeneus breed?

Thanks

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
yes bronze and albino can interbreed.
good luck
:)

yannfulliquet

Hypancistrus Lover
Aug 23, 2002
Hi!

It could be 1.5 inches is still a bit small to be able to breed them, a bit too young . still female are usually becoming sexually mature younger than males... wait a little bit and you should be able to breed them in awhile...
Good luck...
Enjoy them!!!
Cheers
Yann

AMiR UNC

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
Thanks for the responses. Well I have some of both bronze and albino that are a bit bigger, 2 - 2.5 inches. I have 10 total...do you think they will be ok if I try to breed them in a 10gallon with only a sponge filter? The sponge filter has been running for around 4 months and right now the tank houses some baby bettas

Thanks

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I don't think the sponge filter would keep up with 10 corydoras in a 10 gal.
You'd need some fairly serious filtration like a small canister or a larger hob.
good luck
:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store