Tadpoles

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
I just went out to check on my pond. It has about 20-30 small tadpoles in it. Can this cause a problem or should I just not worry about it. This is my first go at a pond, so I figured what would it hurt to ask.

300 gal
10 goldfish varying between 3-6 inches.

Thanks, Dave

aquariaddictus

occasional user
Aug 17, 2002
STL MO
I wouldn't worry. A lot of them will die just based on survival rates. Your fish may even eat some of them. If not, they'll grow into whatever they're going to be and move on (do you know if they are frogs or toads?) I used to have oodles of tadpoles, having about 6 bullfrogs and numerous tree frogs and toads that used my pond to mate. I used to actually see the baby frogs and toads after they morphed, but a garter snake also happened to take notice. It (the snake) has now taken up residence, and very rarely does anything make it past the tadpole stage.

They will actually help out, by eating algae off the sides of your pond, if you have a problem with that.
hth
judy

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
Originally posted by aquariaddictus
....they'll grow into whatever they're going to be and move on (do you know if they are frogs or toads?) I used to have oodles of tadpoles, having about 6 bullfrogs and numerous tree frogs and toads that used my pond to mate.
I'm not sure what kind they are. My wife noticed 3 frogs on some of the plants last week when I was in Cali, but she couldn't describe them. I'll have to keep an eye out to figure it out.

So to put it simple the frogs are using my pond as a cheap Motel 6. I feel so used.:D

Dave

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002

Get ready for some real swampy night sounds as the tadpoles turn into frogs. We had all kinds of different sounds early last Summer. The neighbor hated it! We loved it since our neighbor is rather 'snotty'... At first it was slightly disturbing as some of them had real loud 'chirps and burps'...
One night we took a flashlight out and counted 21 or so of several kinds of frogs. Our pond is only around 200 gallons, I think.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store