Tail Rot! Please Help ASAP!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SweetieAngel

AC Members
Jun 12, 2010
Hi everyone, my goldfish who suffered some tail damage from another fantail developed fin rot and his tail is pretty much gone. I noticed the tail rot on Friday before I left for class but as I was away until Saturday I didn't get to treat him until Saturday evening by which time his tail was gone...I started treatment with melafix right away (that's what I read is a good treatment for fin rot, I have never had any experience with fish medications before). The redness seems to have decreased drastically though the base of his tail is still whitish. He can't really swim and has been nose down since Saturday though he does flick about and I'm pretty sure he has eaten a little. I am wondering if I should continue the treatment past the 7 days? Is there any chance he can be cured since the disease has progressed so far? Should I try to reduce the flow of the filter or add more air to the water? Please let me know anything I can do to help my poor little guy!
Thanks.

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
go with daily water changes, keep the water as clean as possible and there may be a chance. if the tail has completely gone though i would say euthanasia may be the best option to end his suffering. good luck.

SweetieAngel

AC Members
Jun 12, 2010
So I should stop the treatment? I have been doing extra water changes and all the parameters are perfect...How do you euthanize a fish? How do I know if I should euthanize him?
Thanks for your help!

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
I cant say if euthanization is needed at this point. When properly treated, fin can grow back depending stage of infection.

Although Mel is not my choice of treatment but if that's all you got, why not continue, especially when you see some improvement?

Pics Possible?

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
poor guy, RIP little fish.

just for future information i euthaise my fish with clove oil, cheap for a small bottle from the pharmacy, and lasts ages. it puts them to sleep so its peaceful. mix a few drops into a small amount of tank water in a clean bottle, shake a lot til it turns milky coloured. net ill fish from tank into tub with enough tank water to just cover its body upright, add the clove oil mix. wait 5 mins and check if the fish is asleep (laying on its side) then you can add more clove oil mixed into some water again, and it will overdose the fish. i then freeze to make absolutely 100% sure they have gone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store