takin roans advice on clown loaches...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
loaches r cool said:
Not that I care little about the exact species of fish a "Madagascar Rainbowfish" really is, if you google "Atherinidae, Melanotaeniinae, Pseudomugilinae, Bedotiinae" your first result will be:
http://fish.mongabay.com/rainbowfish.htm
Yes, and mongabay is wrong. A lot of sites are wrong. A lot of books are wrong, too. Not trying to start a war, really. Just want the right information out there.

Peter is the one doing the DNA testing and reclassifying the rainbowfishes into the correct genera and family. If he says they're not Melanotaeniinae or that he hasn't decided yet, then they don't belong there.

I am not going to list more references as it matters little to me. Just wanted to show I wasnt just pulling this out of my @$$ when I said it. If they ever change its common name in most U.S. lfs's then I guess I will list it as such.
I didn't say you *were* pulling it out of your . . . whatever :) I know you read it and I believe you read it. I've read it myself! However, it's wrong according to Peter and everyone else on the Rainbow Mailing List because it hasn't been decided yet. The DNA testing isn't finished, to it's too early to say.

As for what the fish is called -- I only mentioned it because it's this marketing name that's confusing people. They buy bedotiinae thinking they are buying a true rainbowfish and expecting them to school and spawn with their fish. They may school out of necessity, but no one has seen a spawn or any fertile offspring.

Note: after looking up a "Bedotia geayi" none of the pictures online look anything like my fish. Perhaps it is something else??? Here is a pick of the red one (I also have one that is a gold color):
Lemme take a look around. There may be different color variations depending on the local the fish came from.

Roan

toniczo

AC Members
Feb 17, 2006
not to change the subject.. or maybe i am.. but how do i post a picture on here? id like to show a pic of my fish ! yall have some beautiful pictures of beautiful fish and id like to share pics of mine so YOU too can go, oohh ahhhh neato!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store