Tang stocking question for 90G

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Batmanjay28

AC Members
Aug 22, 2006
Oregon
I'm upgrading from a 55G reef to a 90G reef. The fish that I have right now are---

False Percula clown
Gold striped maroon clown
Stawberry dottyback
royal gramma
crub pigmy angel
Falco Hawkfish
yellow watchmen goby and blue spotted watchmen goby

I'm wanting to add tangs and some other fish into the mix when I get my 90G up and going. I was thinking about a yellow tang, blue tang, Desjardini Sailfin Tang, 5 green chromis, 3 Banggai Cardinalfish, and a copperband butterfly or a naso tang.

What do you guys think would be a good combo and what would work in my tank. I keep LPS, leathers, softies, zoos, and mushrooms in the tank also. 120 pounds of live sand, 170 pounds of liverock, and a 29G sump.

Charlie Greiner

AC Members
Jul 25, 2007
I might add the tang but you are pretty well stocked for a 90. Remember that the key is to understock a tank. It will succumb to problems more slowly than a fully stocked or overstocked tank.

Charlie

tullsterx

AC Members
Apr 21, 2006
That sounds way overstocked to me. . . you're talking about having 3-4 tangs, including a Sailfin and a Naso (They can both easily grow to over 1 foot in length), plus, 16 other fish up to 3 inches in length each. . . I think you're up to over 80 inches of fish in a 90 gallon aquarium. . . wow. I wouldn't think you should have much more than 30 inches of fish in a 90 as a general rule of thumb.

I have a 115 and I wouldn't put a Naso or Sailfin in there. . . actually I think 90 is too small for one Tang.

Anyway, in my opinion, I think you ought to scale back your stocking plan.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store