Tank Deco

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
No matter what african cichlids you pick be prepared for work. Either dealing with aggression, switching fish in and out, time-outs for fish, rearranging the tank, tons of water changes, slow growing fish etc etc etc They can be big commitments but very rewarding as well.
^ Excellent point.

Being prepared for it doesn't just mean mentally or physically. You need to have the space and equipment available.

The last time I tried African cichlids was around 1988 in a 20g long tank. For obvious reasons it didn't end well. LOL

Doug Romine

AC Members
Jan 11, 2018
I know I want yellow labs, and everything I have read says that there are many kind of cichlids that can do well with labs. I don't know if labs are cave dwellers or not. I know I would like colorful fish in the tank, yellow, blue, red, or other colors. I don't what types to get to accomplish this ( if possible). I do have some rock and some deco that could serve as cave hiding spots and I know I can get more later if need be just not sure if I need to until I know what kind of cichlids I need to get to accomplish the look I want.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
If you do elect to go with synodontis cats with your cichlids I'd suggest looking at S. petricola. Their adult size is much smaller than S. angelicus or S. eupterus, yet they coexist with Malawian cichlids well.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store