Tank frames?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
So found a great deal on a tank, problem is guy cut the center brace off it. Tank was used for a short period (photo shoot) then stored in his heated/ac building. Curious if anyone knows where someone could buy a frame? Tank is a marineland 250g.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Ask your local pet store.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I consider tanks which have center braces to have them for a reason. The taller a tanks is, the more important it is. I have tanks purchased within the last two years and used tanks which were likely 30+ years old when I bought them. The older tanks have thicker glass than the more recent ones. To me this means center braces in the more "modern" tanks are relatively more important than in older tanks.

We tend to think of a sheet of glass as being very rigid. My first tank, a 45 gal., disabused me of this notion. When it was set up the first time i locked across the from glass from one end, I noticed the glass bowed out- glass bends with internal pressure from the water wanted to be on the floor not in the box.

I recently discoveerd the center brace on one of my 33 longs had split. I am in the process of trying to repair itusing strong glue plus a patch to reinforce that spot.

Another consideration would be the lids. Those center braces are essential for holding the glass lids on ythos tanks which use multiple lids.

About the last thing I would want is for 250 gals. of water suddenly leaving a tank and being on the floor.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Yes, I would be greatly concerned with the combination of "great deal" and "cut center brace off", especially with "just used for a photo shoot"

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Ask a good mom/pop pet store like said, or google is your friend. Whole frames or repair kits are out there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store