Tank has brown spots inside

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

astrocreep101

AC Members
Aug 11, 2006
I have had my ten gallon tank for about one month now and I am seeing brown spots appearing on the inside of the tank. I have done water changes usually four times a a week, and my ammonia levels have been going down lately. How ever I never bought a p.h. test until today, when I tested the water my p.h. was higher than 7.5. I als have a live plant inside could this contribute to my issue of spots and high p.h? Also will the p.h down help me resolve the issue?

Thanx for any advise
:duh:

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
Yes, I agree. It's most likely the kind of algae called diatoms. They are a soft algae, and are very common in new tanks. They usually go away after the silica from the glass and new gravel dissipate (through water changes). Diatoms are very easy to remove, just wipe them with a paper towel or rag.

WrittenLyric

Bang Bang Shoot Shoot
Jul 16, 2006
Massachusetts
www.myspace.com
I set my 10 gallon up in July, and about a month and a half later, I got the brown spots too. It then turned into green algea which choked out the brown algea. Now it's pretty much clear - and what does form comes off during routine water changes. You're on the right track.

sly2kusa

Lover of Esox
Jul 25, 2006
plah831 said:
Yes, I agree. It's most likely the kind of algae called diatoms. They are a soft algae, and are very common in new tanks. They usually go away after the silica from the glass and new gravel dissipate (through water changes). Diatoms are very easy to remove, just wipe them with a paper towel or rag.
Isn't that the sign that the tank is beginning to mature?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store