Tank Placement, Will it hold?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dturano2005

AC Members
Jan 30, 2005
I recently put togather a rahter large eight draw dresser and realized it takes up a lot of space in my room. My plan is to move the tank on the dresser and mount the light fixture on a shelf above the tank, the whole setup should look great.

The dresser is solid pine. I plan to put 2x4 underneath the center to prevent any bowing. Some people I asked said it should hold fine and the wood underneath is a good way to prevent any bowing down the road.

Appx a full 29g tank is 230lbs. This dresser feels real solid but wanted to run past someone else before I forged ahead.

Here are some images of the dresser and the tank. Thanks for your suggestions.

Images of dresser and tank

dturano2005

AC Members
Jan 30, 2005
Does anybody have any input :confused: ? My room is in turmoil and Im hoping to get started as soon as I get some input. Please help

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Hard to say. I have a 29 sitting on a dresser right now, but it's a solid cherry piece. Can't say I'd be comfortable recommending it.

dturano2005

AC Members
Jan 30, 2005
I know its risky but I might have to go ahead with it. Im going to round up some heavy objects and keep them on it overnight. Ill check for any bowing or listen for any little creaks and cracks. I think some supprt wood on the botttom should help out?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What are the supports and vertical pieces made of? Solid wood top? Wood is really strong vertically, but often weak horizontally, so you have to make sure the wood will hold.

dturano2005

AC Members
Jan 30, 2005
all the wood is solid pine. It has four main verticle legs and a center support that doesnt touch the ground, thats why I figured I could stack 2x4 right underneath the center, that way it will have four thick legs and the new wood on the bottom will give more strength to the center peice of wood?

dturano2005

AC Members
Jan 30, 2005
I went ahead and did it. I supported the center in three different spots. The tank is on and filled, with no sign of any excess pressure on the added supports.

I will keep you updated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store