Tank purchasing?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

docdubz

AC Members
Nov 9, 2010
I have been looking for a new tank for a while, somewhere in the 75 - 125 gallon range, the only LFS near me is one of the big chains and the tanks that they have are "tank + stand" packages and the stands always look extremely sketchy/poorly assembled. So, I decided to try looking online and the only tanks I seem to be able to find in that size range online are very nice with premium glass and all that but much more money than I had been planning on spending... I was actually able to find the sort of tank that I had in mind (a pre-drilled 75 gallon) but the website I had it on seems to have all of their tanks marked up like 150% compared to everywhere else. I was hoping that someone here might know of a good website for purchasing a more 'entry level' pre-drilled aquarium. Thanks in advance.

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
Does it need to pre drilled? What do you want it drilled for?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Maybe say your location?

It's seldom gonna be cheaper to have a tank shipped to you..

If you are comparing prices to the big chains, you are unlikely to see the same prices, even without the shipping.

But, if cost is the big issue, check Craigslist or Facebook marketplace and spend some time cleaning and testing the tank

Splendidus

AC Members
May 11, 2020
In my opinion the iron stands are the best and for sure they'll outlast the life
of the aquarium. Cosmetics can be built around the stand. Custom, with wheels
and doors. Remember this is not a rocket ship. It's a simple cabinet design.
:)

Reactions: FreshyFresh
Apr 2, 2002
New York
You can also run a sump using an overflow on the tank instead of drilling it. I have all sorts of stands including the angle iron ones. I also build my own. Here are pics of my bought used 150 and 125 soon after going onto the stands I constructed in place. The 2x4s are on end an I run 1 inch thick foam insulation between the tank frame and the 2x4. This acts to self level v.s. the imperfections in the surface of the 2x4.

6footersbothin.jpg

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
If you are close enough to drive to a Petco, Petsmart or Pet Supplies Plus, watch for their $1/gal sales. I've seen them sell standard 48"x18" 75gal tanks for $75. Other than that, the $1/gal usually stops at 40g breeders and 55g's.

Other than that, watch FB marketplace, CL and local online fish groups if you have them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amazoniantanklvr

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
I have been looking for a new tank for a while, somewhere in the 75 - 125 gallon range, the only LFS near me is one of the big chains and the tanks that they have are "tank + stand" packages and the stands always look extremely sketchy/poorly assembled. So, I decided to try looking online and the only tanks I seem to be able to find in that size range online are very nice with premium glass and all that but much more money than I had been planning on spending... I was actually able to find the sort of tank that I had in mind (a pre-drilled 75 gallon) but the website I had it on seems to have all of their tanks marked up like 150% compared to everywhere else. I was hoping that someone here might know of a good website for purchasing a more 'entry level' pre-drilled aquarium. Thanks in advance.
Got your tank ?? If you are in USA, you can check with a local saltwater aquarium club that is in your area, in other forums I have seen that many help each other, getting tanks, equipment, exchanging frags, fish, etc ...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store