Tank stay cycled?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Ok so I have a 10g tank with just snails in it currently. It is cycled and did have fish living in it til a few days back. Now that the fish are out what is the process for putting fish back in? Does the BB die off u til there's just enough to accommodate waste from the snails? Is it even measurable or is it possible it could be stocked normally again in a few weeks?

I do understand that there can only be as much BB as there is food to support it. Maybe I'm over thinking it a bit. Is there something I can do to simulate a higher bioload for future stocking? Like add food and stuff and just not vacuum as often?

My thoughts are kind of all over the place on this one so just wondered what anyone could add

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
When you add fish just do it slowly then the BB will catch back up quickly since it already is established in the tank

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
When you add fish just do it slowly then the BB will catch back up quickly since it already is established in the tank

Yeah that's generally what I was going to do if/when I restock it. Just wasn't sure if there was something special people did to keep large amounts of beneficial bacteria established

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Nope just keep up with wcs when you add more fish

carolinyens

AC Members
Apr 20, 2009
Butner NC
+1 since theres still a little bio load in there from your snails you'll still have a little starter culture in the filter just make sure not to rinse the filter with plain tap water. You should be straight.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
as others have said, restock with fish slowly (only a few fish at a time), and keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite parameters. if either are above zero at all, do a large water change.

Dan420

Planted Tank Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2011
bay area ca
Real Name
Dan
If you can add something from a well established tank like wood or a rock, even plants. This also helps speed up the cycling process.

AaronMB

AC Members
Mar 17, 2012
Fresno, CA
Real Name
Aaron
Good advice above.

Something you might consider: if it's going to be a while without fish and you feed for the sake of creating ammonia, you may--depending on how you 'feed' the tank--end up with more snails than you want.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store