Tank Test Results:

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SharkBait

Crazed Photographer
Feb 28, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.adadsadventures.ca
Camera Used
Nikon D7100
Just curious what it means when I have 0 Nitrite and 0 Ammonia?

I've had the tank for months now and previously did a fishless cycle.

I have no way of testinf ro Nitrates though.

Anyway to keep green algae down? I turn the lights off during the night, but it seems when I clean the tank its back within a few days.

Fish: 1 Betta, 2 gourmie, 2 guppies (had more groumies and guppies, but they didn't make it)

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Zero ammonia and nitrites means the tank is cycled... which would happen to 99.9% of tanks after months of being up and running. You kind of answered your own question when you said that you had done a fishless cycle. However, I am curious as to how you knew when to stop adding ammonia to your tank if you didn't have a nitrate tester. Do you mean that you do not have a nitrate test kit now, or you have never had one?

What size aquarium is this?

SharkBait

Crazed Photographer
Feb 28, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.adadsadventures.ca
Camera Used
Nikon D7100
I have never had one. When did I know when to stop adding Ammonia? I believe I really only added ammonia twice. I just did daily waterchanges and checked levels. Never really notice anything with the testing.

There are fish in it now, its only a 20gal tank.

SharkBait
-=-------------------------------=-
URL: www.tingram.ca
The Digital World of Photography

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Ok, well the tank is cycled because of the time that has gone by... but I am willing to bet you had severe spikes, since you never had a nitrate test kit and never really knew for sure when things were safe for fish. However, the fact that they are alive and well says that they should be fine. Remember though, nitrates are most important in a cycled tank. You shouldn't have ammonia or nitrites, so those test kits aren't of much help to you. Nitrates should, however, be monitored every now and then... especially if you suspect something is "fishy". (No pun intended!) :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store