Tankmates for apistogramma cacatuoides?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ravenpb226

AC Members
May 10, 2010
North Beach, MD
Real Name
Allen
I've got a 46 with 5 Cockatoo apisto and a bristle nose pleco, any ideas on some tankmates?

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
Same here, looks like you have the bottom layer covered, so just look up, I have Angels, you can have tetras, anything that stays on top. 46Gl not too much you can do(small group of tetras), Angels get big, my tanks are 65GL and up.

ravenpb226

AC Members
May 10, 2010
North Beach, MD
Real Name
Allen
Well this is old but would kribs mix with apistos?

AngelFishRock

AC Members
Mar 12, 2011
No kribs and apistos...I tried that before....the kribs won lol. Bolivian rams, angels, and any community fish would work. I had my apisto with angels, eartheaters, blood parrots and cories and he did very well. He is temporarily in with scissortail rasboras a German ram and nickel sized angelfish and he keeps to himself. No kribs and no other apistos unless they are opposite sex.

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
when i had apistos, dwarf cories made excellent tankmates. That is, until the female apisto had babies and was very protective and she would chase all fish that would come near her babies.

AngelFishRock

AC Members
Mar 12, 2011
^ lol that pretty much goes for any cichlid mommy.

I will say that when I lost most of my fish from the power outage the apisto is one that I thought was dead but he actually wiggled when I went to scoop him out (i found a few like that :( ) I put him in a tank that was already warmed up a bit and him and a gigantic corey that is actually bigger than him huddled together in a cave until they defrosted and now they follow eachother around.....cool huh?

AngelFishRock

AC Members
Mar 12, 2011
^ really? I've had a few apistos and they never looked twice at my coreys, even when I had a pair....they never got to spawn though :/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store