[Tell me] How do you change the water correctly?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Phrag

AC Members
Sep 26, 2006
I just finished cycling my tank, and I currently have two dwarf gouramis + one neon tetra in a 55 gallon planted tank. It's about time for me to start vacuuming the gravel, but I'm not quite sure how to correctly change the water and aquascape the tank without stressing the fish to death.

My neon tetra seems to be ok, but my dwarf gouramis are pretty shy unless they know I'm going to feed them in which case they wave at me like the little pigs they are. They've been in the tank with no problems for about a week now.

So I'm wondering what you guys do when you change the water. When I used to have goldfish, they didn't mind my hands wandering around the tank. I've thought about moving the gouramis into a separate bucket while I work on the tank but I'm wondering if doing that will stress the little guys.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I think you just need to move slowly. They will get used to the regular maintenance routine in short order. Do you have sufficeint aquascape for them to hide in and around?

Moving them to a holding area and back will end up causing more stress in the long run. While they may not like you invading "their" space, it is better than removing them to a strange bucket and back, every time you clean the tank.

JulieC

AC Members
Aug 25, 2006
Fairbanks, Alaska
I agree with rbishop. Moving them will probably be worse for them in the long run.

With time you will become more proficient at cleaning and they will get used to you. My angelfish used to hide and after they learned I wasn't trying to hurt them, they did a complete 180 and started attacking the gravel vac. Don't lose hope!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store