Test Kit Info

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abraham

I'm not sick, but I'm not well...
Oct 17, 2005
temperance, Michigan
That's a good idea. Anyone else have any input?

Abraham

IFLY2HIGH

AC Members
Jul 15, 2004
lindquistfamily.net
I use A.P. test kits, but I see that one of the online places now carry Sailfert. I used them for my saltwater testing and they were much better than the others, but also more expensive. More like a chemistry kit for testing water. I'll be switching slowly to them again.

abraham

I'm not sick, but I'm not well...
Oct 17, 2005
temperance, Michigan
yeah, I also used salifert for my salt tanks. I didn't realize that they made kits for freshwater.

Abraham

tomdkat

Da Man
Nov 29, 2005
This is the exact thread I was looking for. :)

I'm ramping up to start a 55g FW and I'm looking at test kits (among other things).

I'm looking at these two:

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit
NutraFin Test Master Lab Kit

I'll start searching for threads on the AP Master Test Kit since the AP test kits get recommended a lot here. I'm interested in an "all-in-one" test kit, if possible. :)

Peace...

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
Roan Art said:
I use AP and Red Sea. I prefer the AP over Red Sea any day, especially the KH/GH tests. They should be shot for those ones :)

If you run out of a particular test, like I just ran out of nitrates, you can order just the kit you need.

I also bought a box of 24 extra test tubes. Now I can test all my tanks on Friday and THEN wash all the test tubes. Heck of a lot faster than testing, washing, testing, washing, repeat 10 more times, blargh!

Roan
I use the AP Master Kit, but was considering the Red Sea kit for my next purchase since it is more complete. What exactly do you find better about the AP kit?

I like my AP kit but don't like the fact that I had to buy a seperate nitrate test. I had to order it online because none of the stores sold a nitrate test (which I found surprising).

tomdkat

Da Man
Nov 29, 2005
Aqualung said:
I use the AP Master Kit, but was considering the Red Sea kit for my next purchase since it is more complete. What exactly do you find better about the AP kit?
Are you looking at the Red Sea Deluxe Freshwater Lab Kit or one of the marine lab kits?

I like my AP kit but don't like the fact that I had to buy a seperate nitrate test. I had to order it online because none of the stores sold a nitrate test (which I found surprising).
Why did you have to buy a separate nitrate test? According to the AP Master Kit link I posted above, the AP Master Kit comes with a nitrate test.

Peace...

hurricanejedi

AC Members
Apr 4, 2005
Raleigh, NC
www.flowerspride.com
My AP test kit included high and low pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I bought their gH and kH too. The only thing I don't like about them is I have a hard time matching colors sometimes when ammonia gets a little higher and some of the pH values don't match up very well and sometimes they do. Pretty easy to use though. I like the instructions on the back of the card.

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
tomdkat - Yes, it was the freshwater kit I was considering.

My AP "Master Freshwater" test kit came with ammonia, nitrite, high and low range ph, and gh tests. I bought it a couple of years ago, so apparently the newer kits do include a nitrate test. Good to know!

(Edit) - apparently that is a different Red Sea kit than the one I was looking at. The one I was considering was much more complete.

Either I'm losing my mind or they are making a lot of changes to the test kits. The Red Sea kit in my Big Al's catalog (from last year) was much different than the one shown on the website. Also, it looks like AP has switched the gh test to nitrate since I bought my kit.

Last edited:

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
Ok, I'm not losing my mind :clap:

I just found my Big Al's catalog and it lists the tests in the Red Sea Deluxe Fresh Lab as follows: ph, alkalinity, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. So apparently they have recently changed it. I wonder why?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store