Texas tankmate ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kit Walker

AC Members
Jun 9, 2002
Australia
Visit site
My Texas has been moved into my 55G in my room. He is almost a fully grown adult. The only problem is the tank seems quite bare, and as with many texas he is quite skittish. Unfortunately he has no tolerance of other cichlids (tried this unsuccessfully) yet doesn't eat dither fish. He totally ignores dither fish even if they fit into his mouth! So I am after some ideas for a dither fish which would have a good color contrast with a Texas. I have considered tiger barbs or danios, but I'm sure there are many other suggestions? Thanks.

quantim0

Go Packers!!
Feb 19, 2002
Westfield, NJ
giant danios are usually the dither fish of choice for large cichlids. some of the silver dollar species would be good as well. pretty much anything that moves alot would be a good idea. i've heard of rainbows being used, but they're kinda expensive. but they do come in many color varieties.

Lynsey

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Rainbows have a lot of color, but they are kind of expensive. You could try other barbs, like larger rosey barbs, or giant danios might work. You could also try a pink tailed chalceus, but it gets pretty big. What about a nice pleco (fancy pleco):
Gold nugget pleco
albino bristlenose
or something like that?

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
I have my Carpinte in my 55 gallon with my big male JD.

The carpinte is just a little guy right now. (3 inches)

I also keep 5 Arulius barbs in there as targets.

They have nice color and are tough and fast.

I use to have 8 but the old JD tankmate my female synspilum was a little faster than the other 3.

Kit Walker

AC Members
Jun 9, 2002
Australia
Visit site
Thanks guys, Rainbowfish didn't even cross my mind! I have giant danios with my brasiliensis so I might go for rainbows for a change. They aren't very expensive here in Australia because many are native.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store