The Fire Eel-discussion thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Great article! My newly acquired 16" has not eaten after 4 days of owning it, I was worried until I read that it could take weeks. I'm glad I stumbled upon this! Thanks!

LisaW

Registered Member
Feb 10, 2007
I just got a fire eel that is only 5.5-6 inches. I was looking for info on the care and tank requirements. The information given was very helpful. Thanks.

rwaterman

AC Members
Aug 6, 2009
Indianapolis
I have read these posts but was wondering if anyone has a larger eel (mine is 16") and I feed mine nightcrawlers and he will usually eat at least 2-3 a night.

What i was wondering if anyone has experience with larger fire eels and if they feed them anything other than nightcrawlers?

Riverfishguy

AC Members
Jan 5, 2007
I've got one thats about 18" and he ONLY eats night crawlers. Tried him on literally everything else. Earthworms Only for him.

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
I've got one thats about 18" and he ONLY eats night crawlers. Tried him on literally everything else. Earthworms Only for him.
Did you forget that he eats ghost shrimp? We just never remember to get him any lol.

Oahugrown808

Registered Member
Jan 19, 2020
I have a newly tank with a fire eel shovel nose catfish and a silver arowana. Fire eel seems to be getting bullied by the catfish. Currently feeding him bloodworms he seemed to like that. Do fire eels feed on some of the food left in the gravel?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store