Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The insides of my fish are coming out. Help.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Illness and Disease' started by sapphiresea, Feb 14, 2010.

1. sapphiresea

sapphiresea AC Members

Nov 12, 2012
    In all my years of keeping fish, I have never seen anything like this. I have a school of seven threadfin rainbowfish in a 29 gallon tank. I left last night and came back tonight to find one of my females in bad shape.

It's rather had to describe but it seems as though her intestines are coming out of her anus. There is a large pink lump coming out of her that looks like her own tissue. Has anyone had anything like this happen before?

I'm attaching a photo to help with identification. The white specks are just air bubbles. For now, I have moved her to a ten gallon quarantine tank, but I don't know where to go from here. Can someone please help me ID this!?

Sick Fish.jpg

2. Sammysaddiction

Sammysaddiction AC Members

Mar 21, 2012
    I have no idea what that is. However, I hope it was just a large poop. :) Bumping for someone that may have an idea.

3. mellowvision

mellowvision Seafood Lover

Bill Brissette
    Dec 9, 2014
    Bill Brissette
  4. Pearl

Pearl AC Members

Vicki
    Aug 21, 2014
    Vicki
    Are you sure that's the anus?

5. jbradt

jbradt this is bat country

I. P. Daily
    Jun 25, 2017
    I. P. Daily
    Looks to me like a prolapsed rectum. Not 100% sure, but that's what it looks like. To my knowledge there's no real way to treat it.

6. sapphiresea

sapphiresea AC Members

Nov 12, 2012
    Thanks for the responses. I am not sure if that is the anus. The pictures definitely do not do it justice. It is large, pink, and perfectly cylindrical. Any more ideas?

7. sapphiresea

sapphiresea AC Members

Nov 12, 2012
    This is what I was thinking as well! When you see it from the underside, it looks like a prolapsed rectum. Unfortunately, I can't get a good picture of that because I don't have a macro lens. What should I do? Let the fish live out its life in quarantine?

8. arise1dwr

arise1dwr AC Members

Nov 4, 2010
    all i can think of is poop sorry...

9. Pearl

Pearl AC Members

Vicki
    Aug 21, 2014
    Vicki
    The first thing I would do is inspect the fish to make sure that's the anus. I've never seen a vertebrate where the anus wasn't placed directly below the tailbone.

10. Pearl

Pearl AC Members

Vicki
    Aug 21, 2014
    Vicki
    After looking at some pictures of threadfin rainbows, I suspect that the fleshy pulp may be the remains of a fin.