The perfect tropical tank....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
so you have a 75 gallon tank, it's got a few plants on each side and a piece of driftwood in the middle. Tell me what you would think the perfect "show" tank would have as far as fish and why...

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Depends on what I already have...;)

Here are a couple of options I would consider:

1) I love nano fish. Microrasboras, ember tetras, smaller danio species, pygmy corys and maybe something like honey/pygmy gouramis too. Would be awesome to have larger schools of small fish.

2) A rainbow tank, with a few schools of the smaller species or maybe just a couple of bigger ones like bosemani's. I just love their activity and of course the colors. There's quite a variety to choose from...

3) SA tank built around festivums. So probably larger tetra species (emperors, bleeding hearts, etc.), corys maybe, and possibly rams or apistos if the festivums were mild mannered.

4) SE Asian tank with lots of sids!

I love tank dreaming.....

3)

DougsGraphics

Returning hobbyist
Dec 10, 2011
New Mexico
www.flickr.com
Real Name
Doug
I'll always vote for shoals of small rainbows (M. praecox, I. werneri) and blue-eyes (P. connieae, P. gertrudae, P. signifer)! Barring that, I think some rice fish (Oryzias woworae) would be cool. Or maybe in a 75, a group of congos (Phenacogrammus interruptus) would be cool... Lots to consider! Fun to ponder...

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
I think it depends on what you like more than anything. My 75 has fancy goldfish, zebra danios, platies, etc. I also love spotted silver dollars and oddballs like bichirs, tiretrack eels, different catfish, etc. Some people think nothing compares to angels, discus, etc. Large schools of bright fish like cardinal tetras are also very impressive.

What fish made you want a fish tank?

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
great ideas. It's not necessarily what I would like, but what you would consider an all around perfectly balanced aquarium.... could be same area fish, same types, all schools, all cichlids...... whatever you would consider perfect and well enough to show.

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
i would probably do one that was fairly bottom heavy. i'd go with fancy plecos and lots of dwarf cichlids and cories. then for the top i'd do some smaller schools of fish like neons etc. then maybe a betta... just cuz.

GuppyGirl1230

Snails, Guppies and Corys, OH MY!!!
Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
I would start with some discus, red snakeskin, some that are really red and pop out of the green foliage. I would then do a school of black neons, and a school of rummynoses. Assuming the plants would fill in, I would also do some panda corys, or sterbai to pop against the green. I would also do Briggs, probably true breeding single color ivorys. Yep. That is exactly what I would do, and am going to do in my 100, once I get my 40 long for my 4 mbunas. :)

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
Ooooh I love questions like this!

My tastes in fish have changed significantly, now that I have had pretty much everything I dreamed of having (well that can fit in a 55 gallon, I still dream of silver black tipped shark catfish) I personally think I tank that has a few, largish, center piece fish complete with some catfish (or loaches) best. Or "monster" fish.

Here's my three "dream" tanks

1) Coldwater- fancy goldfish (I only like fantail/veil tail) with gold dojo loaches (a nice school of 4-6) since they like to play in be with friends :) Maybe 4-6 goldies and 4-6 dojos? (A tank like this will always be active and colorful, and I personally think fish that are like snakes are pretty awesome to watch)
2) Big fish little fish- A pair of moonlight gouramis (they are so pretty and gorgeous fish in my opinion), a large school of these "spotted" cories (maybe melanstus(?) http://op5.triadinet.com/elmers/nlcatalog.asp?loc=nlitem.asp&args=sku|210 a pair of angelfish, and a large school of cardinal or larger tetras (OR take out the tetras and cories and do a large school or spotted pictus?) (moonlight gouramis and angels can be breath taking as they get older, and pictus are extremely active in schools and very pretty silver fish)
3) Monster fish- A birchir (I love these guys!) http://www.aquamojo.com/bichir/Bichir 5b.jpg (he looks so cute!) with a few (2-3) large cichlids (These guys always will catch someones attention, because they have a bad donkey quality too them)

Good luck on whatever you decide and definitely post pictures!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store