The Pink Ramshorn Snail - - nursery maids, fry saver, nightmare ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

The Dave

AC Members
Jul 26, 2016
western Massachusetts
www.youtube.com
Real Name
David Creque
The ramshorn snail is often seen as an aquarium pest that people want to avoid. However, they only pose a problem in an aquarium that is unbalanced. When the aquarist adds too much food to the tank, the ramshorn snails take advantage of the abundance and breed at an alarming rate. Population explosions like this cannot be blamed on the snail, but on the owner.

The pink ramshorn snail, in particular is very attractive and graceful. I use them as a clean up crew to consume uneaten food in all of my tanks. They are also great in fry tanks for the same purpose. Their droppings also produce a small amount of infusoria which the fry will eat.

Watch this high definition video and gain a new respect and appreciation for this graceful aquarium "menace".

However, once you put these snails into your tank, it's hard to get rid of them entirely.

chenning

AC Members
Oct 2, 2016
I have tons of these guys and when they start to get too thick into the crayfish they go.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store