The Sorority Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JK_Fish

AC Members
Oct 2, 2010
Ga
Easy... the answer is .... magic :D The water in the tanks never, ever run out, so I can just keep on pouring water out until I've poured out a gallon's worth of water from a .5 gallon tank ^-^

XD Oops, sorry, my computer is missing the number ONE and number TWO buttons, so I have to spell them out or look them up online, find a place where the number or exlamation point or at symbol has been used, copy then paste it where I want it to go.... which is quite a hassle in a rush.

What I mean is that I'll do a hundred percent water change once to twice daily.

the meds are working, but jaffa has started to pinecone and isn't eating (
joy) because malachite green is a harsh med, I'm taking her off it for a bit and hopefully she'll regain some of her strenght in just plain old warm water, seeing as adding epsom salt to the water is no longer an option.

asianleful

AC Members
Nov 30, 2010
Man this really sucks, maybe you should just reboot the whole tank. Then when the fish get better just add them back in.

JK_Fish

AC Members
Oct 2, 2010
Ga
I'm working on that. The girls are out of the tank in their own .5 gallon qt tanks, and the tank (hopefull) will keep its cycle (for a week) with the plants in there, and by that time anything nasty should have died without a host, so when I re-introduce the girls once they're healthy, nothing will go wrong....

Do you think my cycle will be able to last about week without fish? Do you think by a week, every parasite in there will have died?

JK_Fish

AC Members
Oct 2, 2010
Ga
Update: So, I've been treating phoebe (jaffa passed away), and things are looking brighter. I recently went online and got Kanaplex, and hopefully that'll do the job. Unfortunately, once Phoebe is better, she won't be joining the sorority. She's still so timid, and honestly, she's been through a lot in life as it is. Once better, and once I'm ready, I'll have a well planted ten gallon in the basement with some dwarf cories and maybe a platy or three waiting for her.

As for the sorority tank, it has lost its cycle and is now in limbo until I decide what to do with it. I have no idea what nasties are floating around in the water, but i don't want to dissemble it and toss my gravel and plants. So, I'll do a massive water change once a day for a few days and try my best to stir up and remove mulm after removing fake plants and decor.... unless anyone blatently disagrees and says I should toss everything, sterlize and begin again, that'll be my motive of operation.

Plague

O.o
Aug 4, 2010
Miami, Fl
Sorry to here it didn't work out for you :( I just started my 10g betta sorority yesterday and it has been doing excellent. I was very careful when I picked the girls and made sure they didn't flare at each other while in the cups. Though there are some scrapes, nothing serious was done. They did lip lock but I would interrupt and they would let go of each other.

Now they all have their own turf and are recovering from the scratches. Two of them had stress lines before I bought them but I'm wondering if that is just their coloration. Originally I bought those two because they reminded me of sparkling gourami. Haven't given the ladies any names though. o_O

JK_Fish

AC Members
Oct 2, 2010
Ga
thanks, hopefully my next attempt will go better, I'll be choosing girls from the spawns of online friends at another forum, and I'll definately qt for a long time. It seems like the illness was in all the girls when I got them, it's just it hadn't poped up in a while.

It's good to know your sorority is going well, tanks full of happy healthy girls are so nice to watch.

asianleful

AC Members
Nov 30, 2010
I'm sorry for your loss... But I still recommend you just start everything over again. You could remove the plants and put them into a bucket of some other non-bad fish tank water for now, with a light of course! Hope everything goes well!

JK_Fish

AC Members
Oct 2, 2010
Ga
hmmm, actually, that's a good idea. I'll dessemble everything- cleaning and bleaching the tank and decor, I'll also remove the gravel and rinse it well in hot water, and I'll qt the plants. That way I won't have to toss anything (times are getting more rough and flourite is expensive :p ) and I can have a clean tank.

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
Sucks to see it didn't work out for you. I've tried betta sorority's a couple times and I seem to come to the same conclusion that it just never seems to work out very good. There's just too many variables when it comes to betta sorority's. Size, aggression, health, environment. I'm sure there has been some cases where people have had success but in my case I either ended up with dead bettas(be it getting beat up or being stressed which can lead to illness) or half the bettas having to hide constantly and being very stressed.

In the end I've found it a lot less stressful for me and the bettas if they have their own tank or divided section in a tank. But good luck on whatever you decide and I hope things work out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store