The super Noob of all super noobs is here

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Severumbro

AC Members
Feb 1, 2017
Hello everyone!
I love this forum and would like to introduce myself as I have been a long time lurker.
I have 3 tanks currently only have one question which I will get to in a few.

For now, here are my current setups.

10 gallon (heated / 20 gallon aqua culture filter job)
-betta fish and mystery snails

55 gallon
Sun sun ho3b canister/ tetra 20i in tank filter
-current satellite LED light
-PFS + driftwood and rocks +a few cheap
-one pleco
-1 serape tetra
-1 green severum 4.5 inch
-1tiger oscar 1.5 inches
-3 angel fish 1.5 inch babies
-1 one random barb (please help me identify)
-6 Corydoras
-2 minnows

55 gallon
Currently cycling with a established job 30 HOb + penguin 350
3 minnows

I intend on definitely moving the oscar + pleco over to the new 55. I also want to move the random barb as he is the fastest fish and I think he will get along with the oscar as the oscar is extremely friendly.

I know the tank is overstocked but everyone is currently in juvenile stages and we're all in bad conditions when I purchased them. The oscar and barb in particular were in particularly bad conditions. But are all recovering very well.

My favorite fish is the Severum as he is the peace keeper and greets me like a puppy even often times flashing different colors as I sees me.

IMG_4813.JPG

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Hi, welcome to AC!

You are right in thinking that the tank is overstocked and I'm glad to hear you have plans to separate the fish. A 55 gal is the minimum for a single Oscar as they get quite large and have a good amount of biowaste.

The barb you asked about looks like a, quite faded, clown barb to me. They are shoaling fish and require a larger a group. I honestly wouldn't plan to move him with the Oscar, but get a more to create a shoal and leave them with the severum. I'd suggest having the Oscar by himself when he gets larger. The likely reason the barb is so faded is due to stress, more than likely from not having the comfort of a shoal. However, I'm curious to know the parameters on the tank, just to be sure.

Finally, when (if) the angel fish start spawning you will likely have issues between them and the severum. So, I'd be prepared to add a new tank or rehome them. That tetra is also a shoaling fish so you may need more there too. Which, will have you overstocked again.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Nice looking setup! I'd take Tiff's suggestions in terms of stocking.

Keep in mind, the 55g is bare minimum for a single oscar by themselves. No other bio loads should be added. Even with that, if the oscar gets a little above average in size, it will be the full 12" front/back size of a 55g tank. 55's with an oscar often require more than one fin-level water change per week to keep the nitrate creep from getting out of control as well.

Reactions: Severumbro

Severumbro

AC Members
Feb 1, 2017
Nice looking setup! I'd take Tiff's suggestions in terms of stocking.

Keep in mind, the 55g is bare minimum for a single oscar by themselves. No other bio loads should be added. Even with that, if the oscar gets a little above average in size, it will be the full 12" front/back size of a 55g tank. 55's with an oscar often require more than one fin-level water change per week to keep the nitrate creep from getting out of control as well.
Ok it seems as though the best solution is a huge tank like. A 120 or 240 seeing as though I have some time and a separate 55 cycling I will decide on this in due time. Thank you so much for every ones input. My 4 serape tetras turned to 1 after the wife's friends kids fed them and cranked the ammonia levels up I unfortunately I was so devastated and ran to the nearest 24 hr Walmart to get ammonia tabs which I don't fee really helped. But that turned me away from tetras as I feel they are sensitive and I am not that experienced. Thank you all

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I wouldn't say the tetras are sensitive, it is just that cichlids are REALLY hardy. In the future if something like that happens again, a couple of large water changes will be better than the ammonia tabs.

You definitely have some time, but I would move the oscar over once the other tank is cycled. They do grow quite fast. They're pretty smart fish too and once he's in a home where he's king, you'll likely see him greeting you just as the severum does. As far as "big dumb fish" go, oscars are one of my favorites.

SantaMonicaHelp

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
Santa Monica, CA, USA
Hello everyone!
I love this forum and would like to introduce myself as I have been a long time lurker.
I have 3 tanks currently only have one question which I will get to in a few.

For now, here are my current setups.

10 gallon (heated / 20 gallon aqua culture filter job)
-betta fish and mystery snails

55 gallon
Sun sun ho3b canister/ tetra 20i in tank filter
-current satellite LED light
-PFS + driftwood and rocks +a few cheap
-one pleco
-1 serape tetra
-1 green severum 4.5 inch
-1tiger oscar 1.5 inches
-3 angel fish 1.5 inch babies
-1 one random barb (please help me identify)
-6 Corydoras
-2 minnows

55 gallon
Currently cycling with a established job 30 HOb + penguin 350
3 minnows

I intend on definitely moving the oscar + pleco over to the new 55. I also want to move the random barb as he is the fastest fish and I think he will get along with the oscar as the oscar is extremely friendly.

I know the tank is overstocked but everyone is currently in juvenile stages and we're all in bad conditions when I purchased them. The oscar and barb in particular were in particularly bad conditions. But are all recovering very well.

My favorite fish is the Severum as he is the peace keeper and greets me like a puppy even often times flashing different colors as I sees me.

View attachment 219314
Hi Severumbro,

Welcome to the forum!
You have very cool tank ;)
Severum is amazing!Lucky you are that you you have such a loyal friend;)
Why did you choose this name for him?

Zhenya

Reactions: Severumbro

Severumbro

AC Members
Feb 1, 2017
Bobby and Whitney are a celebrity couple who were heavy into drugs and had a tremendous up-and-down relationship . They were both in bad shape when I purchased them

Hi Severumbro,

Welcome to the forum!
You have very cool tank ;)
Severum is amazing!Lucky you are that you you have such a loyal friend;)
Why did you choose this name for him?

Zhenya

Reactions: SantaMonicaHelp

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com