TheFishPlace, Tonawanda, NY...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cypherman

All about Aulonocara!
Apr 3, 2002
Buffalo, NY
Man, I gotta stop going...TheFishPlace in North Tonawanda, NY is a fishkeeper's haven lol, as those in the area know. After drooling over the dozens of huge rare plecos (6 inch blue spotted greens, mangoes, leopard cactus, royal, zebra, spiny giant, 14 inch goldie.....they also have a new Panaque species there; called the blue panaque. Think of a blue eyed pleco, now add blue edged dorsal and pectoral fins, and a white outlined tail fin, but only black eyes...)

Anyway, I made my way over to the cichlid section and I swear, I coulda sat there in front of this tank for an hour (so i did LOL). They had a RED TERROR as nice as Mojo's (even a little nicer IMO, sorry Mo :p) and a 12 INCH+ POLLENI that was the most stunning black I had ever seen. Now get this: The red terror, which was a 7 inch female, was 19.99 (!!!) and the polleni, which the guy told me was five years old, was 24.99 (!!!!!!!).....The polleni was sold already (DAMN!!!!!!:mad: :mad: ) but the red terror was up for grabs...I had to twist my own arm and tell myself... Ok, that red terror would shred every fish in my 30 gallon....You do NOT want to deal with that... Some of you might say, BIG DEAL, but those are two out of my three favorite fish, so fill those in with whatever your 2 favorites are and then you'll understand.

They also had an amazing B. jurense for sale...I've never seen one in person before. I saw screw those ugly tigrinus! That jurense with its long trailer was gorgeous (and only 30 bucks too at 6 in.)!!! Other highlights of the evening included a cool male motaguense (labeled as red tiger jag), two pairs of 16 inch oscars jawlocking at the same time, a 2,000 gallon display tank, a tankful of baby tetracanthus, and a 3 foot electric eel.

No I didnt leave empty handed though ;) I did buy a baby Geophagus rhabdotus tho for $5.99...Nice lemon yellow, female I believe. Ill get pics later...Just had to share my frustrations with you all! Let's hear about your impulse buys (or near-buys)

http://www.tangledupincichlids.com/images/rhab1.jpg

Cypherman

All about Aulonocara!
Apr 3, 2002
Buffalo, NY
I'm glad I didnt buy the red terror...My little rhabdotus is already raising hell; I didnt know geophagus were so aggressive, especially a female. She immediately attempted to jaw lock with my male GT (who's big enough to eat her lol, but he ignored her), chased my female around, and her and the polleni really went at it with the jaw locking. Her mouth got a little tear and she's backed off a bit, but she kept coming back for more so I turned off the lights to let things cool down...I cant imagine what woulda happened if I had added the festae :rolleyes:

And yes, TheFishPlace is amazing :p

StevieM

Nov 29, 2002
lewiston, NY
Visit site
Amen, I second that.....its nice to have a store like that in our area ( 15 mins away for me! ) :D

Cypherman

All about Aulonocara!
Apr 3, 2002
Buffalo, NY
I'm probably getting that festae lol. I went back with my parents and they liked them so much theyre helpin me set up my 75 this weekend :D

Fishy3

AC Members
Feb 17, 2003
NW Florida
Visit site
You guys are so lucky to have a LFS like that. All I have here is PetSmart, Pet Supermarket and Walmart (might I add, I am never going to get fish from Walmart)

Just tell me you'll drool a little for me too! :D

Cypherman

All about Aulonocara!
Apr 3, 2002
Buffalo, NY
Man, you've gotta go! It doesnt look like much from the outside but once you step through those doors I swear there's a dimensional gateway to aquaria heaven lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store