Thermometers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SftWrmRain

Welcome To Wherever You Are
Nov 14, 2006
Anyone know of an excellent quality ACCURATE thermometer? I have always used the ones that are a buck something at Wal-Mart - the kind that suction to the inside of the tank, but I have ALL kinds of readings from them. Of the 10 or so that I have, only about 4 are the same when all placed inside the same tank, side by side. It's very frustrating.

Pacudacu

Eats Shoots and Leaves
Nov 18, 2006
Do you mean the kind that are glass and have little silver balls on the bottom? Those are the kinds I use.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
i usually keep 2 of those suction-type of a different brand in each tank, and as long as neither one of them goes out of a 5 degree range of the other, i'm good. it seems to be a good idea unless you want to spend 20+ bucks on a digital thermometer. however, it may be a good investment if your fish are extremely temperature sensitive, or if you are trying to breed them.

fishman1979

Suffers from MTS
Feb 7, 2006
Aldan, PA
Petsmart sells a great digital therm for about 8.99 or something. i have found it to be a little more accurate than the others.

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
I find the Top Fin ones from Petsmart to be pretty accurate (glass with black suction cup). I tried a Penn Plax one and it was always way off.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
thats what i was trying to think of. Top fin. if you can't get a digi, go for the top fin.

NeonJulie

Worlds' Worst Mafia Voter
Nov 13, 2006
Everett, WA
I use this one in all of my tanks. Bought them from my LFS.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=ES00232

I just bought this one yesterday, but it's for use when I'm getting water ready to add after a gravel vac/water change. It isn't quite instant.. about a 10 second delay. But it was really great, and it was much better than waiting for the red tube ones.

However, I do use those glass ones actually IN the tank. I knew the first one I bought wasn't accurate, broken actually. (How does that even break?!) The second one I did in hot bathwater tests, and actually saw it respond.

But yes, I really did like the eight dollar one above, that I got from Petsmart.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store