they eat Black beard algae!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sheloudre

AC Members
Jun 3, 2007
BC Canada
Ramshorn snails!!! gotta love them. Granted, they breed worse than guppies or rabbits when more than one around, but they eat the STUFF!! Had a tank almost covered in it, couldn't even scrub the gunk off. Now, a week after we got several ramshorn snails, it's gone! And THEY ate it. We watched them do it. (plus, my puffer has lots to eat with all the baby ones)

Am sooo glad that algae is gone.

thebullit

smile it confuses people
Apr 29, 2007
North West, UK
common ramshorn snails wont eat live plants just decaying plant matter. the columbian ramshorn snails are profound plant eats though and are much bigger.

jaysen

i eat rats like you for breakfast!
Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
common ramshorn snails wont eat live plants just decaying plant matter. the columbian ramshorn snails are profound plant eats though and are much bigger.
in my tank i have red, pink, leopard, and common ramshorns. they ALL eat my plants. they prefer certain plants over others but will eventually take them all down. usually the plant will grow too quickly to die but my gymnocorinis suffered from it.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I have probably thousands of ramshorns across my various tanks with no ill effects on the plants. They don't eat bba either...maybe mine are confused.

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
I would love to find some that ate staghorn and hair algae. :angryfire:

sheloudre

AC Members
Jun 3, 2007
BC Canada
ramshorn types

These ramshorns i believe are the common ones, not the columbian ones. Those are giants compared to mine. They ate the BBA but left the plants so far. My briggs is trying to dig up something under one of our plants, but it isn't eating the plant either.

Other tankmates are a female betta, pea puffer, 2 rasboras, and 2 cories. All live plants in there. 10g tank with gravel. 9 rams, and 1 briggs. Largest ram is about 3/4" diameter shell. Briggs is 1 1/2" diameter shell. I know briggs will get bigger - he will be relocated in a month or so, once we get our larger tank for gf.

On the side, anyone know of roughly how big a common ramshorn can get?

Thanks for all the input though, everyone.

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
I would love to find some that ate staghorn and hair algae. :angryfire:
I'm with you on that. I don't even know the cause of my hair and staghorn algae. Maybe my Aquasoil is leeching too much nutrients... :mad2:...

Jun 25, 2007
I never could get my ramshorn snails to eat BBA. I resorted to adding more plants and a little Flourish Excel (not overdosing it) and after a couple weeks the BBA died off. I get a tuft or two now, nothing major.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store