They're going to hibernate!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ConfusedCatfish

AC Members
Nov 7, 2020
I have some native fish that i keep outside so they can keep up with the natural temperature cycle in my country, aka warm in summer and freezing water in winter. Theyre about to hibernate, we already had the first ice this year and i just wanted to be sure i shouldnt feed them during winter? Because last year they floated near the bottom and showed no interest in food, and in spring they ate normally again

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Technically fish don't hibernate, since they can not regulate their body temperature. Their metabolism slows down with the declining temperature and as such they become inactive and don't eat. So you don't feed them during their winter inactivity.
Note there are some exceptions like sturgeons that stay active and eat while other fish are already inactive but what you describe is perfectly normal.

ConfusedCatfish

AC Members
Nov 7, 2020
Technically fish don't hibernate, since they can not regulate their body temperature. Their metabolism slows down with the declining temperature and as such they become inactive and don't eat. So you don't feed them during their winter inactivity.
Note there are some exceptions like sturgeons that stay active and eat while other fish are already inactive but what you describe is perfectly normal.
Ok, thank you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store