Things customers told you that you knew weren't true

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cguarino30

Random Guy
Mar 15, 2009
Here's my favorite

a 19 year old girls walk into the store, walks right up to me, and says:

"I want one of those fish that you can put in a tiny little bowl, and never have to feed it, or clean the bowl, or change the water"

me- "they're right next to the unicorns"

*girl walks out angrily*

andyjones99

Master of Muppets
May 5, 2009
Liverpool, UK
i was picking up platys the other day and the guy before me was looking for some lights for his tank. when the fella behind the till told him the tubes where £12 and the controller was £35, he said "forget it, i'll just put it [the tank] on the window sill instead".....

allecb

AC Members
Feb 6, 2008
it amazes me the stupidity and the lack of responsibility people have. im not master fish owner, but i definately did my research before i handled my tank.

this is a little off topic...

people are like this at fast food restaurants too. i work at burger king, and people in drive thru are incapable of telling me what size, or what kind of drink they want without me asking them first like a little baby.

or the best thing is; when i tell them their food is up in the dining room, and they just walk on over and look at the wrapper that says "WHOPPER" and a wrapper that says "TENDERCRISP" and ask me if thats theres, when 2 minutes ago they just ordered a whopper and tendercrisp. -_-

point is people scare me. these adults who are PARENTS scare me. how are they able to raise a child?

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
I was in a store a few weeks ago overheard a guy mention having a 10 gallon he had purchased the day before and wanted fish and asked the girl there for help.

She suggested some easy "beginner fish"- told him the "1 inch per gallon rule" when he had asked for more fish than his tank could take... never once mentioned cycling though or suggested he hold off.

I wonder if she even knew- or was just following what she was taught the best way she knew how... I debated with myself whether to say anything or not- and didn't... maybe I should have. The fact that she talked him out of buying too many fish means she may have been open to listening.

katana1200

Unhealthy obsession?
Here's my favorite

"I want one of those fish that you can put in a tiny little bowl, and never have to feed it, or clean the bowl, or change the water"

*girl walks out angrily*
:lol::lol::lol: I love this site and its members! One question though.....do you still have that job?

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Here's my favorite

*girl walks out angrily*
:lol:Oh snap thats funny lol.

I was shopping at Petco bout 3yrs ago for dog food and I was shocked and told my sis check it out what that girl is buying when she looked she was like so I felt like smacking her behind the head lol. They lady was buying a ten gal setup along with bout 5 Koi each bout 5-6" long and 5 goldfish equally as big and mentioned how it was a gift. Needless to say I was shocked.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
oooooh, this thread is hilarious! but sad at the same time.

can't say i have any especially stoopid stories to tell, but i don't frequent stores that have idiot customers that often (my fave stores are two small mom and pop shops with regulars that actually know their stuff when it comes to fishkeeping, thank goodness!)

one thing that does come to mind is not a customer, but an employee of a big box store. i went in and noticed that almost all the cichlids had extreme fin rot. i asked why that was. employee told me it was due to running out of and not having a certain additive (part of their corporate controlled dechlorinator/conditioner cocktail) in the tank. i can't recall the name of the chemical he said, but he stated that without this one 'ingredient', the fish get fin rot. in the same breath he said that all they used in their water was one certain chemical to remove the chlorine (i also cannot remember the name of that chemical he said). he also said the cichlids had been at the store a while and because they had been without the certain ingredient in the water the longest, that is why they had the rot and not the other fish (and yes, central filtration system).

i just said 'oh', and walked away, shaking my head. was tempted to grab a bottle of Prime off the shelf and make him put it in the system, as one 2 litre jug would've probably done the whole system, but i do tend to go there for dry goods once in a while......

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
I just went to what had been my favorite LFS to buy the last mudskipper because he hadn't grown at all in the months that they had him. The last fish that I bought, 3 rummynose, had ich that I treated. I even called them to tell them and the guy said "oh, let me go look" and when he came back to me he said I was right. The other 3 which were Sterbais, 2 died and I am iffy about the last. The last straw is that they have an ad on Craigslist for a goldfish bowl for $9.99 with a free goldfish. I thought they knew what they were doing. I am very disappointed and won't be going back.

katschamne

AC Members
Feb 3, 2008
Geneva, IL
Here's my favorite

*girl walks out angrily*

I would have walked over to where we have the glass fish that float and handed to her.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store