Thinking about betta sorority tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FeelinALittleFishy

AC Members
Jan 30, 2018
so I am very Interested in betta sorority tanks. They are so cool. If I were to get one it would be a twenty gallon tall tank. I am saving but I need help with deciding plants to go in. I was thinking Java moss and maybe some Amazon swords. Would some corys be ok in there. Also albino bristlenose Pleco. I would get some harquinlyns cause rasaboras live with bettas in the wild.

sapphire689

AC Members
Mar 17, 2018
get 5-6, so the hierarchy is more stable. if possible, get sisters, or bettas who have been tank mates. java moss is perfect, easy to care for, and fast growing. you can also do some hornwort, if you want. cory cats like to be in groups of 5-6, and need soft substrate like aquatic sand. harlequin rasbora are schooling fish, so should be kept in groups of at least 6. use Aqadvisor for help. all that is a bit much for a 20 gallon, so you may reconsider your stocking plan, or even better, get a bigger tank

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sounds like a great plan, I'd go for a 20 long as opposed to the tall since the long has a larger footprint. I would keep the female bettas by themselves. My experience with keeping them with other fish is, they can over eat when you try to feed the other fish.

sapphire689

AC Members
Mar 17, 2018
whatever suites you, just keep the bettas in tanks at least 2.5 gallons in size. an easy, inexpensive option is to get a large size cricket keeper/ temporary animal home type tank. they are plastic, but durable. just convert the measurements into gallons.

sapphire689

AC Members
Mar 17, 2018
also, to prevent the bettas from eating everything, you can use separate foods; once they taste betta pellets, flakes are a lot less appetizing. although, it shouldnt be a problem. my bettas are pretty good at only eating their fill, though it strongly depends on your bettas personality

FeelinALittleFishy

AC Members
Jan 30, 2018
I was thinking a a nice white sand so the Cory cats would be fine. Twenty gallon tall is my choice. Also what about the bristlenose. I want to know if it is sutible. Also can plants thrive in soft white sand and what is a recommended light for planted aquariums.

sapphire689

AC Members
Mar 17, 2018
most plants are not picky about substrate, and some, like anubias, hornwort, java moss, and marimo moss dont even need to be rooted to anything. a normal aquarium light will do fine. ive never kept bristlenose, but they do reach 6 inches, which IMO is a fish that wouldnt be comfortable in a 20 tall, since they are bottom feeders. the cory cats should be fine though

FeelinALittleFishy

AC Members
Jan 30, 2018
Also what abou guppies are they fine. I have a netted breeding container and an extra ten gallon laying around some where

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store