Thinking about giving up on Inverts

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

leeser28

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
I'm back. Thanks again for all of the support. I'm thinking about putting in my harlequin rasbora and getting him a few ore to school with. It wasl always my plan to put him and some others in there once I had a colony, maybe I'll put them in early and then once I add more shrimp and see some berried put a divider in or something like that for a while. I have had live plants in there since I set it up - about 4 weeks now. I also have a nice piece of driftwood that the shrimp do a very good job of hiding in!

Copper pipes is a definite possibility! I also forgot to mention that when I did the water change before adding the shrimp and brigs I added some Flourish for the live plants - could that be what did the brigs in? When the snails looked sick I did a >75% water change, and have done two more regular (50%) changes since then so any of the Flourish that was in the tank should all be gone.

leeser28

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Croton-on-Hudson, NY

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
maybe stop dosing ferts until you're good with the inverts. I know many people have dosed just fine but I'm just thinking about eliminating factors.

leeser28

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
maybe stop dosing ferts until you're good with the inverts. I know many people have dosed just fine but I'm just thinking about eliminating factors.
I did, as soon as they were sick I did the huge water change and didn't re-dose since I didn't know if they were sensitive to it. I know that where they came from there was no ferts ever used.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
Maybe the large water changes were just enough to upset the balance and caused the shrimp crash? The shrimps are so sensitive to even a subtle change--I don't know but just throwin this out there for discussion.

leeser28

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
That's a good possibility. I have noticed that ALL of my losses (except the snails) came after water changes!

What do you think???

leeser28

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
Did you match temperature when you changed water?
That I did, I even used a thermometer when I do it as I don't trust my sense of feeling. The only time not was when I plunked the poor red cherry in the RO water which was definitely cooler than the tank she had been in, but I was desperate, and she survived!

Last edited:

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
gee idk lisa im quickly running outta ideas. Seems like you're doing everything right so far. You said there was a possibility of copper pipes? When you filled for water changes, did you run the faucet for a minute or so to flush out the copper?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store