Thinking of changing to sand!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

reefdiver

AC Members
Oct 1, 2010
Arkansas
Real Name
Rene
Hi everyone !! I was looking at how cool the sand substrate looks. My thing is what kind of sand would be best for newcomers and what kind of equipment I need ? I have a 46 GL and a 36 GL with Aquaclear filters 70, 50 and a top fin 20. My stock is red tail, 2 molly's, 6 red hifin tetras, 3 cory's, 5 kuhli's, 1 oto, and a clown pleco. Second tank was 6 tiger barbs, 5 black fin tetras, 1 platy, 3 cory's and 5 kuhli's.Any help would be greatly apreciated!!! thank's !!!!! :grinyes:

OrandaRookie

It's not just orandas now
May 21, 2007
UK
I've used sand in my aquarium for the first time when I setup my oscar tank. I've found it much easier to keep clean than gravel! Poop rests on the top of the sand rather than work its way between the stones like in gravel
I used play sand. It's not as nice looking as white sand but it's a **** sight cheaper! Was only £2 for a huge sack of the stuff
Just make sure you wash the sand thoroughly before you use it

tomany

AC Members
Nov 23, 2009
Hartford, Al
A lot of people use pool filter sand (pfs). You can buy it at your local pool supply store. It's about $8.00 a 50lb bag here in AL. It's more white, just remember to rinse it of the dust.

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Formerly ExPeNsIvE AdDiCtIoN on MFK
Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
There is no doubt that black sand looks amazing, but when you need 1000lbs+ then tell me how great it is lol. I'm gonna need 2300lbs for my 2000gallon alone, but with playsand that's only like $185 for all that substrate. Cant beat the stuff, especially for larger setups.

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Formerly ExPeNsIvE AdDiCtIoN on MFK
Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
And BTW if you have any concerns about "impacting your substrate" just get some Malaysian trumpet snails. They spend all their time in the substrate, and stir it up slowly.

Haydn24

Boo!
Jun 28, 2010
Australia
Real Name
Haydn
I went for a more quality approach to my sand, and got this stuff called pure white silversand. It was probably $20 for 4kg. But this stuff is awesome! Definatley worth the change :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store