Thinking of female krib. Need discussing my unfortunate love for kribensis.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Hi my friends! ❤

I’ve been thinking about getting a female krib for my 125l tank since females tend to get smaller 7.5cm ish. My water hardness is over all 253ppm, around 14-15 dGH. I have several cherry shrimps, young and adults, adult amano shrimps and 1 2” gabon shrimp, livebearers, mts snails and a pleco. I worry about the female krib attacking the shrimp as i have small cherry shrimps, but the amano shrimps are larger ofc. I could put the shrimp in with my betta if something goes wrong or not.

It only a begging of my love for kribs.

Thankies! <3
Sprink

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
The cherry shimp and amano shrimp are definitely not safe. It may take three or four strikes to kill the amano, but it will. I'd be very hesitant to try the gabon shrimp as well.I suspect the krib would pick at the feathery appendages and both stress and physically harm the shrimp. Eventually the krib will weaken the shrimp enough that it can kill and eat it.

I've never kept guppies with cichlids at all, even dwarf species. Without a mate and no territory to protect, I think the guppies might be okay. Just keep an eye on them and if the krib starts picking at them, move the guppies.

WYite

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
As I stated already, I could move the shrimps to my betta tank. I had convicts once, moved the shrimps to my betta tank, left the gabon shrimp in there and it was unharmed. It constantly hides so I think it should be alright. Tomorrow or Tuesday should see how my betta is gonna be with the shrimps. I also could rearrange things around the tank for possible territory. Though, I still gonna need discussing the krib. I mean I love them, they’re cute and given the females usually stay smaller and are less aggressive, I may want to get her, but as I already stated I still need discussing the krib. If my store is not gonna have kribs, maybe their gonna have apistos or other dwarf cichlid, I will get it LOL

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think you're mistaken about female kribs being less aggressive, smaller & prettier, yes! Less aggro, not IME.

I agree with WYite, shrimp will be in trouble unless (maybe) if you have a TON of hiding places...but then you'll never see them...

See how your betta does with a few shrimp; some are hunters, others are indifferent.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Now I heard that if they are grouped appropriately and when breeding, they’re gonna have best colours and best not to get it for that tank. So now am confused.
Except for one lone female years ago, I've always kept kribs in pairs, so I don't know how they'd do in a group unless the tank was pretty good sized. Even in a good-sized tank, as soon as a pair develops I'll bet money that all the rest would be hiding in the corners and along the edges of the tank and would be so stressed they wouldn't stay healthy. I've never met a pair of substrate-spawning cichlids that didn't think that they owned the entire tank once they started breeding. Even angels and discus get territorial during spawning. You could keep a pair comfortably in your tank, and kribs usually aren't too picky about accepting mates picked out for them IME. The lone female I kept was the last young of one of my pairs. I couldn't find a home for her for nothing. I ended up putting her in a 20 gallon long with some congo tetras and something else, though I don't remember what that something was. Anyways, she lived in that tank for a long time, was healthy and happy, and was pretty enough, though she never attained full breeding colors.

Kribs aren't especially aggressive compared to Rift Valley, Central American, and some South American cichlids, especially the females. And the 3" figure for a female is the maximum size. Typically my females have always stopped growing closer to 2-1/2" or slightly larger. I've kept them in community tanks where the rest of the fish are too big or too fast to be bullied.

I think where the confusion is arising comes from the difference between "aggressive" and "predatory". They aren't the same. A fish can be non-aggressive against creatures that are too big to be prey. But when put in a tank that contains creatures that are naturally on it's menu, that fish's predatory instinct will kick in and it will hunt those other creatures. I doubt anybody here would say guppies are aggressive, but they'll still become predatory on their own young. Kribs are still opportunistic carnivores and I wouldn't keep them with any fish small enough to possibly be on the menu, and like I said before, I wouldn't recommend keeping them with any inverts.

That blows my mind about the convicts and the Gabon shrimp. I've fed full grown marmorkrebs at 3-1/2" or so with pincers attached to single or pairs of full grown convicts and the crayfish lasted all of about 20 seconds. It amazes me the convicts didn't hunt your Gabon shrimp down.

WYite

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
I did put in 4 shrimps in with Peanut, he rather would attack the container i acclimate the shrimps in. One of cherry females climbed out of the container on her own and by her own choice, Peanut no budged at all. Comparing him and the female cherry shrimp, they are the same size LOL peanut’s gonna be fine with shrimp :)
That blows my mind about the convicts and the Gabon shrimp. It amazes me the convicts didn't hunt your Gabon shrimp down.
Ikr?! ? She hides all the time, never saw her walk around with or with no convicts so maybes that is y?

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Yes. You can keep one female krib. It will never achieve full breeding colors, but will be reasonably colorful since female kribs are decently colored even when not in breeding condition. Don't keep it with anything that can fit in its mouth or that it can bully, or with anything that could bully her. Watch her for a while when you put her in the tank for the first time. I don't expect her to bully the guppies, but cichlids tend to have individual personalities, and there isn't really a "normal" behavior because of this. If she does bully them, you'll need to move the guppies and find fish that are similar in size or too fast for her to hit. I also suggest you keep an eye on the Gabon shrimp. It may be okay, but don't be caught of guard if the krib starts to harass it.

WYite

Reactions: Sprinkle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store