Tiger barbs/ich

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mandymartinez

AC Members
Jul 13, 2006
HELP! Tiger barbs/ich

I have three questions. First I have 6 tiger barbs(I had 4 and added 2 yesterday), 1 angel, a pictus cat, pleco, and a betta. My barbs seem to be nipping my angel. Is there anything I can do to get them to stop. Will adding another angel help.

I noticed that one of the two tiger barbs I added to my tank yesterday appears to have ich. I began the salt/heat treatment. I have a 55g tank. Do I add between 55-160 tsp of salt? So far I have only added about 5tsp because I didn't want to add it too fast. How often do I add it? When I do a water change do I add salt in to replace the taken out salt.

Lastly, how many fish can I house in my tank? I heard there an inch per gallon. If I can get more fish and after my ich is gone, what other fish do you suggest?

Thanks,
Mandy

Last edited:

Grundy

"A Buckeye Behind Enemy Lines"
Jul 9, 2006
Michigan
I think you are going to have trouble with the barbs and angel / betta no matter how large a school you have. Yes, a larger school seems to diminish the aggression somewhat but not totally in my experience. I think either the barbs or the long-finned fish will need to be moved (or a divider set up). I believe in a 55 gallon tank you could have a nice school of 10-12 barbs OR 3-4 angels and they should be pretty happy. When I have done salt treatments in the past I have put the salt in about 1/4 of the total each day for four consecutive days and, yes, you should salt the replacement water until the treatment is done. I always have to look up the amount per gallon, though, so I will get back to you on that...

graphicdesign_r

Tact is for the weak.
Oct 31, 2005
In your nightmares.
I used 1.5 tsp per gallon with heat for good results. I still lost two barbs to ich but it prevented the others from becoming infected.

Long finned fish and barbs don't mix. Small quick fish and medium sized semi-aggressives do well.

Web Gazelle

Guardian Of The Cave
Dec 1, 2004
Planet Earth
Tiger Barbs are prone to getting Ich. The salt treatment is the best I have heard of and cleared up Ich in my tank. Your Tiger Barbs may never stop picking at your Angel or Betta. THey are not good tankmates.

Grundy

"A Buckeye Behind Enemy Lines"
Jul 9, 2006
Michigan
Other barbs is probably the best option (other color tiger barbs, rosy barbs, etc.) They also do well with cory cats. If you are looking for something a little bigger, a lot of people will put red tail sharks with their barbs since they are similar fish and can hold their own against barb tendencies. I believe they get to be 5-6inches and are territorial so you would only want one (with appropriate hiding places / caves for it). I have not had a RTS in the past but am considering one for my 125 gallon barb tank. Danios should work well also.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
I would also suggest just finding other Barbs, and maybe some really fast movers like torpeodo shaped tetras or daniio's of some type. Giant Danio's are awesomne in a 55g.

As far as salt Quantities, The range recommended is 1-3 teaspoons per gallon, I actually always do 2 teaspoons per gallon , and if tyhere is still ich visible after 5 days (never happens for me, but has for others) then I'd raise it to 3 teaspoons per gallon.

Dave

belve

Registered Member
Jun 22, 2006
tiger barbs help me send me info at wrekless.sound@sbcglobal.net

help me im new to tiger barbs i have 4 in a community tank wth platies .......... tell me how to brreed tiger barbs please...anyone send me emails please ASAP!!

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
belve said:
everyone send me info about breeidn tiger barbs to my eamial this is my email wrekless.sound@sbcglobal.net evryone send me eails pelase help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =( i need help
you want my advice? start your own thread with an appropriate title so more people will read it, rather than tucking it into someone else's thread with an unrelated topic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store