Tiger Oscar being a picky eater???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BigZed

AC Members
Oct 11, 2007
Hey guys,

Not sure if im over reacting or not but lately my Oscar hasnt been as aggressive when i feed it.

For example, Id drop a pinch of Blood Worms into the tank and it will swim aggressively toward the food but once it gets there the Oscar looks at it and then just leaves it alone. As if it's not interested once it realizes what it is.

At first I thought it might be just bored with the same food so I went out and bought another type of food, floating Spirulina Sticks by Nutrifin Max and the Oscar does that same thing.

As far as overall behavior goes the fish is fine, swims all over...checks out things in the tank as usual. Fish seems healthy and there are no marks on its scales to assume that its injured or has a disease.

The Oscar is about 2 to 2 1/4 inches long...so Id assume it would be hungry due to its youth.

Tank is 130G tank
Water is 77 Degrees
Zero Ammonia, zero Nitrites and 13 ppm Nitrates

Any comments would be appreciated, thanks guys!

PS: Right now its the only fish in the tank.

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
They can be notoriously picky!! Now is the time to establish who's boss. A quality pellet for the mainstay of the diet (75%) will be necessary for optimal health & growth. Treats & supplements will round out the rest (25%). Work on the pellet first. If he/she gets hooked on treats, it will be that much more difficult later. "T"

BigZed

AC Members
Oct 11, 2007
THanks for the info! I didnt know they were picky eaters!

Should I not feed it for a day or so...and then feed it the pellets? Kind of like a "force feed" type of deal? I know it sounds mean but maybe that's the only way.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
that's the way to do it. i know when mine gets an earthworm, he refuses to eat pellets for a couple days in protest.

Mij

AC Members
Sep 11, 2007
Pa.
I agree with witholding food. A day or two without anything will change the Oscar's temperment towards any kind of food he gets. Its worked for me in the past and its not being cruel. In nature Oscars don't get to eat substantial meals every day, they must feed oportunistically when the food is available. As your Oscar grows larger you should routinely withhold feeding at least once a week. This will keep him interested in the food you give him and is also good for his gastrointestinal health.

Sarge_857

Iam the one under your bed. BOO
Mar 18, 2008
Saline, MI AKA craphole USA
my pleco had the same problem with cucumber. i rubbed a piece of garlic on it (garlic is a natural hunger stimulant or somthin like that) and he went to town!
one thing you can do is take a clove of garlic and crush it, and rub the pellets/floating sticks in the juice that comes out. does wonders, and gets em used to the food.:grinyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store