Tiger Oscars not welcome in my tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
To put it in perspective...
We have a 75 gallon tank, which of course is just a little bit smaller than your 100 gallon, with less than half the amount of cichlids that you have. 3 cichlids and 5 botia. That's it.

Overstocking does not work with SA/CA cichlids. When your fish hit sexual maturity all hell will break loose. That stock list, even in a 150 gallon, is ambitious at best, and the only fish you have that are suitable for a 40 gallon at adult size is the convict. Then you could use the 55 for the BP, JD pair, OR GT. That leaves the jag in the 100 gallon to kill most any other fish you keep with it... I'm not even sure how to advise here other than suggesting you find new homes for some of the fish. Good luck.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
yup, your going to need the 40, 55 and the 100 to give the fish some remote chance of survival..

good luck.

Roman09

AC Members
Apr 9, 2009
ok so i made some changes. I cleaned and put up the 45 Gallon? in my garage..i removed my jack dempsey pair and they love it! the female doesnt harrass the male anymore i guess bc before she was like defend us from the GT but he couldnt so she was mad! i also took out a male convict.

In my other tank i now just have the GT..BP..Convict..Jag..Albino Oscar

Any suggestions as far as moving anybody from tanks?
Im thinking of putting in my JD tank my convict pair but not yet as they are caring for their fry in a small 5 gal. I want to wait till the fry are stable so i can take the pair out and feed the fry maybe?
My question is if the JD pair and Convict pair will get along enough to live?

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
whoa, you have a convict pair and fry in a 5 gallon? that's too small a tank for even the convict pair, never mind babies.

i would consider rehoming some of these fish, at least the most aggressive of them, so that you don't end up with a tank full of disaster down the road.

Roman09

AC Members
Apr 9, 2009
i know i know.well their fry is about 3 days old so some are starting to float but they are still tiny..I want to move the pair into the new tank i set up with my JD pair..just dont know when? Can i move pair and fry without harming?

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
the JD's will probably eat all the fry, IMO.

if you can get a 20 gallon for the convict pair and fry, you could grow them out in that for a while.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i don't know much about breeding any cichlid, but i do know that convicts breed like rabbits, lol.

if the parents need to be kept with the babies, ie a brooding fish (that cares for the young) (i hope thats what you call it....) then you really only have the option of getting a bigger tank for both parents and babies, if the babies need to be raised by the parents and can't be hand raised.

like i said, i know nothing about cichlid/convict breeding, but might as well through that out there as a thought.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store