Tiny dust like particles in water.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AndyH24

AC Members
Feb 8, 2013
Kingsport, TN
Real Name
Andy
Hi, I've been getting small dust particles in my 10gal tank. I have tried squeezing the 2 sponges from my ac30 filter in some old tank water. That made it worse at first because taking the filter inserts out stirred up some junk from the filter housing. Im running two sponges and a biomax bag. Any ideas on how to get better filtration for smaller particles? My sponges look like they are too porous for the smaller stuff.

thanks,
Andy

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Maybe try some floss or actual filter cartridges for your Aquaclear.

A somewhat dirty sponge will grab and hold onto smaller particles than a clean sponge will.

grundsau

Registered Member
Jan 28, 2012
Allentown, PA
Real Name
Karen
A diatomaceous earth filter would do the trick. If you use a Marineland Magnum filter you could try using the micron filter without the diatomaceous earth.

AndyH24

AC Members
Feb 8, 2013
Kingsport, TN
Real Name
Andy
Ok, I'll try some floss. I'm not sure about actual cartridges for my ac30. All I have seen are the inserts. Will floss filter finer particles than the sponge?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Maybe try some floss or actual filter cartridges for your Aquaclear.

A somewhat dirty sponge will grab and hold onto smaller particles than a clean sponge will.
Aquaclear doesn't do cartridges. It'll be a sponge block as the mechanical filtration, then (in my case, at least) the biological ceramic stuff, and purigen for the chemical filtration.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
You could try a flocculant such as Accu-Clear by API, it binds smaller particles into bigger ones that your filter can more easily process. A chunk of polyester floss (such as PolyFill, used for quilting and such) will work well too, the two together are a great combination.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Yep! I use it in all my tanks after large water changes, even the ones with inverts. I usually only need a 1/2 dose. It makes your water look like smoke is forming in it at first, then it clouds...by the next day, at the latest, your water will be crystal clear, if silt is what made it cloudy. It does nothing for bacterial cloudiness, though.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Ive used accu clear on a tank before it did wonders! Like platy said, it would take a day at the very most to clear it out but after that the water is nice and clean. Also, like platy said, it wont do scratch to a bacterial bloom

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

AndyH24

AC Members
Feb 8, 2013
Kingsport, TN
Real Name
Andy
I've noticed what looks like a few white spots on the fins of my black skirt tetras. One of the white spots came off while the fish was swimming. Could this and the particles I see floating in the water be ich? Or could some of the debris in the water just be sticking to the fish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store