Tiny starfish explosion, Harlequinn shrimp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

manowar669

AC Members
Sep 11, 2004
My 29 reef is teeming with tiny starfish. They are mostly all smaller than 4mm (1/4"), some larger, up to about 11mm (1/2"), white with bluish grey centers. There are hundreds of them. They don't seem to be doing any damage, since they've been in there for about a year now. My girlfriend loves inverts, shrimp especially. Would a Harlequinn shrimp eat these? They seem to reproduce rapidly, so do you think that they would keep up with a hungry Harlequinn shrimp? I really don't want to have a mess in there by feeding the Harlequinn with larger starfish.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
They sound like asterina starfish too me, as they are the most common star to explode in this manner in the tank. Harlequins are a good choice to keep the population under control. However, once the population is under control, you will then have to ensure that a proper diet exists for the harlequin shrimp...

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
And to follow-on to what Reefscape stated...when your out of Asternia, it will be time to buy some Chocolate Chip Starfish as the supplemental food source.

I choose just to pick them out of the system. I have a 125 DT and I pull at least 20-30 every three weeks and still can see quite a few remaining.

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
hmmm, i wonder if you could set up some kinda safe haven for a dozen or so stars to keep the population up...
You would need WAY more than a dozen. I have one in my 10 gallon. Every sunday when i work I grab as many as I can find (about 30-40, perhaps?) and throw them in my tank. But I am harvesting out of a lot of tanks. Granted, not all of them are completely infested, but still.

manowar669

AC Members
Sep 11, 2004
How long do you think it would take for a single Harlequinn to eat about 100 little starfish? I'm sure there's several hundred or thousand in this tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store