Tips and tricks for netting?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SnowHeart

AC Members
Aug 27, 2005
Washington, DC
I have a heavily decorated 29g with lots of rocks, plants and wood around the bottom. I also have a couple of fish I want to net and move into a separate aquarium (a red-tail shark and a cardinal tetra). Because of the heavily decorated nature of the aquarium, and the fact that many of those decorations are rather solid (e.g., I could brush a plant aside but I would knock over a rock), netting these little buggers is going to be a challenge.

Anyone have suggestions, tips or tricks to make the process a bit easier, or is it simply a matter of patience and skill (or ripping out all the decorations)?

Last edited:

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
try netting the fish after the tank and room lights have been out for two or three hours. no room lights, no tank lights. fish should be "sleeping" and if you turn on the tank lights and they're out in the open, you'll have about 20 seconds in which to net them before they "wake up".

SnowHeart

AC Members
Aug 27, 2005
Washington, DC
I'll keep an eye out for those opportunities, but that may be difficult. With the abundances of hiding places, I actually have trouble seeing ANYONE when I first turn the lights on. The cardinal tetra may be a bit easier... he likes to sleep around the plants. Thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone else have some thoughts?

z71silverado98

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
after the fish are asleep is the easiest. just use a small flashlight to see what your doing, but try and keep the beam as far from the fish as possible and dont shine it in the fishes eye or it will wake up.

or use a large cell flashlight, temp. blind the poor guy and scoop him up w/ a net from behind.

Last edited:

nanahachi

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
thanks SnowHeart for asking, i've been having troubles netting a fish in my planted tank, where there are too many places to hide.

thanks to everyone for the good recs, i think i'm going to attempt the "while they're sleeping" trick. :)

indiginess

AC Members
Nov 26, 2005
lowering the water level drasticaly can help too.... gives them less tank to run in....

i've noticed that if you dont succeed in the first few minutes, its better to try again a little later. reduces stress, and ups your chances. usually i catch the object fish in the first stab or not at all. (for a while, anyway).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store