tips on painting a tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

smbjedi

May the fish be with you.
Dec 20, 2006
Dallas, TX
i want to paint the outside (back) of my new tank. any tips or advice? im think of using spray paint, would it be better than using a brush? (wouldnt want stroke marks) any help would be app.

JustLooking

AC Members
Nov 2, 2005
Broomall,Pa
I have painted the backs of most of my tanks,
the larger ones(6' or more) I roll on,the smaller tanks I spray.
If spraying,mask off everything you dont want painted.
Make sure to cover the inside of the tank.
After painting,cover the cured paint with masking tape to protect it,it will chip & scratch very easy.

zazz

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005
I actually used finger paint.:grinyes:
a murky blend of green blue and black. Needed to be pretty thick to no longer be translucent. I then took craft paper (like a brown paper bag) , crumpled it, then stuck it right to the wet paint. Created a nice subtle impression of depth. Completely different effect than rolling or spraying. just an option

johnlarson66

These Pandas Rock
Sep 25, 2006
Fayetteville, NC
www.facebook.com
Real Name
John Larson
On the one tank I have painted (which is my biggest tank) I used cheap black spray paint from wal-mart. 97 cents a can.

Let the paint dry before putting HOB filters on. I scratched mine a bit...

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I've always rolled paint on. 3 coats. Quick and easy and less messy than spraying. I also prefer to use flat enamel paint.

Buckdog

Comet with an attitude problem.
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. Inland
The finger paint is a great idea. You can get great textures , color mixes, etc., and it washes or scrapes off easily. And you can do it indoors.

If you use a solvent based spray (like the person above said - 99cents at WalMart or Rustoleum at Home Depot), do it outside and wear a respirator.

On another aquarium forum site today a person wanted to do the same thing while they were doing water changes and I was strongly against that. I have been in industrial trades for a long time and when you find out what all those paint solvents can do it aint pretty.

Your lungs, liver, fish and water heater pilot light will thank you.

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Zazz...can you post a picture of what this looks like?

smbjedi

May the fish be with you.
Dec 20, 2006
Dallas, TX
thanks for all the tips, just finished the 3rd coat!(rolled on). looks great, thanks again for the tips! :)

zazz

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005
Zazz...can you post a picture of what this looks like?
OKAY, Ill try.

Buckdog, you're not kidding about the H2O heater.
I once redid wood floors using WATERBASED polyeurathane. The next day I ended up calling the firedept because I couldn't trace that burning smell.
just from fumes burned by the pilot light. nasty. Good thing I didn't have fishtanks. there was black soot settig here and there for days.

smbjedi - congrats!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store