Tired of buckets!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AndyH24

AC Members
Feb 8, 2013
Kingsport, TN
Real Name
Andy
I'm tired of using a 5 gallon bucket for water changes! I'm thinking of getting a python or whatever petsmart sells. I'm worried about putting tap water in the tank withouth treating it with prime first. What's the best most efficient way to do water changes?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I add the prime to the tank before the new water starts flowing. Never had any problems.

ZivaD

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
I use the system from Petco - the ease/speed of filling alone is worth it to me. As said above, I just treat the tank before starting the water running back in. Instead of calculating/treating the amount in each bucket, just add enough conditioner for the volume of the tank.
I will say, I am not impressed with the durability of the plastic adapter to connect to the sink. I have been overly careful with it as far as tightening, adjusting, not bumping it, etc and there are still already three cracks in variouos places - the plactic is NOT durable at all (which I expected and is why I was being so overly careful to begin with). None of them are to the point of making it usless yet, but will eventually spread as I use it - I've only had it a few months as it is. That being said, I'm heading to the hardware store in the next couple of weeks and going to just pick up some more durable hardware to fasion my own connector and there will be no problem. In hindsight, could have saved myself some $$$ by doing that to begin with and buying the needed length of plastick tubing to reach sink to tanks.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I use a plastic 50gal Brute on wheels. I treat water (Heater and Prime) in the Brute before "pumping" into tanks.

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
I recall a few threads that discuss this very question and there are a million different ways to put the water into your tank. Long story short, put the prime in within 5 minutes of starting to fill that sucker up. Your fish will be fine. You will be fine.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I use a plastic 50gal Brute on wheels. I treat water (Heater and Prime) in the Brute before "pumping" into tanks.
Same here, though I use R/O water so its my only option really, still a lot better then buckets though.

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
I just use a extra long tube that goes from my living room to the bathroom to siphon out the water then attaching it to the sink to refill the tank.
I normally just add Prime while the water going in and I never had any problems.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
Get the Python!!!

I ordered one from Amazon for like 50 bucks for my 55 and 75 gallons, made life sooo much easier! It came with a metal adapter too, which was super nice as the plastic ones are flimsy.

Be sure to measure out the distance you need though before ordering, I got the shorter one and it would barely reach to my bedroom which made things a little difficult.

As others have said, just dump in your dechlor before you fill your tank back up and your fine :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store