To Levamisole or Not to Levamisole

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jennisof

Registered Member
Feb 17, 2007
Hi,

In a 20-gal tank are 3 angels (sm, med, and lg), two black neon tetra, 3 glowlight tetra, otos, ghost shrimp, 2 dwarfgourami.
One angelfish and one black neon have developed camellanus--red, stringy, bristle-butt.

Has anybody had negative effects using Levamisole HCL on any of these species?

Thanks,
Jenn

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
the fish will ultimately die without treatment, so i see no down side to treatment.

js77

AC Members
Jan 23, 2007
I had to treat a JD for these worms about a year ago. I used Levasole, which is a pig wormer I got from Tractor Supply Store. Levamisole is the active ingredient. I can't remember the dosage, but I have heard that you basically can not overdose using this stuff - I am probably wrong though. Dose the tank, do as close to a 100% water change 24 hours later and you should be good. Atleast that was my experience.

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
I have heard that you basically can not overdose using this stuff
you can DEFINITELY overdose this medication. it's rough stuff.

purchase a bottle of about 18 grams active ingredient from an online agricultural supply company or farm store for under $20. (shop around).

divide the product into 5 gram packets (standard fishroom measuring spoons will help you here).

mix a 5 gram packet with 3 ounces of water and keep in an opaque bottle to make roughly a 5 percent solution. keep remaining product refridgerated for up to 3 weeks.

dose 1 ml. of 5 percent levamisole solution per 10 gallons for 36 hours. (1ml. is about 1/5 (one fifth) of a teaspoon. be sure to remove carbon from filter during treatment.

do a 45 percent water change following the 36 hour treatment and install new high quality carbon in your filter.

feeding frozen or live brine shrimp after treatment is a good way to facilitate the clean out of any dead worms from the fish's digestive system.

most fish can tolerate 1 ml. per 5 gallons and this is a good dose for newly acquired fish if you're quarantining them. higher doses than this can kill weak or juvenile fish.

fish may appear 'groggy' during the 36 hour treatment but this will dissipate.

js77

AC Members
Jan 23, 2007
I stand corrected. Thanks for the accurate info. if it ever becomes an issue in the future.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Levamisole is light-sensitive so keep the tank light off for 24 hours or so. I recently read of a study that cammalanus larvae can survive more than 3 weeks in tanks so plan on retreating a few times to be sure. Good luck.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
levasole and levamisole are the same med with different names..make sure you get levamisole Hcl..it is very effective for camillanus . flubenzadole and fenbenzadole are also effective.

I have accidentally overdosed(slightly) with no ill effect..the fish may become stressed..my discus turned black..but after 48 hrs I did a water change.

yes..you should redose the tank after 2-3 weeks. when doen right the camillanus should not return.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store