To much light?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kmill

Registered Member
Oct 29, 2009
First post on this forum long time member of MFK. I have a 210 gal standard measurements and after initial set up I decided to lightly plant with java fern and java moss. My marine land led's do not seem to be enough. Last night I purchased a zoo med 48" t5 ho set up. I don't want to add co2 or ferts and I also have an algae scrubber in the 75 gallon sump. All plants are attached to wood about 15" from surface. What light bulbs would anyone recommend, 6700k-10000k? Also this fixture allows to run one bulb at a time if needed. Lastly how long would I need to run this fixture a day?

kmill

Registered Member
Oct 29, 2009
Thanks for the input, I know its not a monster plant aquarium but it might lead to more. At those lighting levels will I need any additional ferts?

xVitox

Daphnia Wrangler
Feb 16, 2010
Downingtown, Pa
I agree with the 8-10 hours a day. Get a timer, worth every penny. Also if you wanna fight algae I would suggest dosing excel, although with that size of a tank I do not know how cost effective that would be....jealous of your 210 that is almost 4 times the size of my "big" tank lol

kmill

Registered Member
Oct 29, 2009
Thanks for the help, I went and got one each of the 6500k and 10000k. I did buy a timer and I set it for lights on at 11 am off at 6 pm. Then my led's come on for about another 4 hours. The algae scrubber in the sump has controlled the algae in the tank there is none, I'm wondering if it will take to much nutrients from the plants. Time will tell.

kmill

Registered Member
Oct 29, 2009
Are there other plants that attach to driftwood that would work in my aquarium?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store