To think is to dream?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
Let's say you have a ±18,000 gallon in ground pool that gets a small amount of use.
You know you already need to replace the pump and filter, so you'll be taking things apart anyway.
You'd much rather have a koi pond.

How would one go about exploring the actual costs associated with switching to fish?
How is filtration handled and where would I find such a filter? Pump requirements?

I am in South Florida where it never freezes. Late summer the pool may reach 90ºF, lowest I've ever seen the water temp is maybe 50ºF-ish.

I know that this is a major decision.
I think I am just fantasizing... aren't I?
Is it really feasible?
I really should contact a local Koi Club

Last edited:

demon_surfer

MooOOoOOOoO
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
Thats a cool idea. im not an expert but i would say it was workable, the filters work in similar ways. First things that come to mind for me is to take a look at the filter you have in the pool now and look at the pond filters that you can find. If they are the same you might not even need to change over....wait you said the old one was broken?? One bad thing i can think of, you will need to make sure ALL the chlorine and other pool chemicals are outta the system totally. Probably through a long cycle or something.

Plus i know that the filter intakes on pools can be pretty big, you would probably want to look into covering them up with a wire mesh or egg crate or something or your fish are going to go the way of the curious cat =)

hope this helps

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Ive always wondered about that. It be cool unless you have big mean fish to just jump in to take a closer look at the fish in there artificial enviroment. But if you went tropical like cichlids and plecos you would need a heater if it just like a koi pond then they might be ok. Just remeber friends cant go swimming anymore especially if they have dyed hair.

demon_surfer

MooOOoOOOoO
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
alot of pools come with heaters....do you have one installed? you said you were in Florida right? so maybe no heater but im sure a pool company could install one for you that would work.

I just thought..it MIGHT be more cost effective to put a new pool filter in too?? not sure though you would need to look into the mechanics of the filter and see if it would work. Make sure its not a chemical based filter as that would suck =o

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002

How deep is the pool?
Length and Width would give me an idea..?

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
I am in Florida yes- no heater needed.
I want only Koi.

I already know I need a new pump- the Haywards used for pool applications are also used in ponds, right?
The filter is another matter- no "pool" filter will do. I s'pose I can't truly look at specific filters until I know how much water is involved.

80gJoe- it is a 16x32 in ground, shallow end maybe 3½ feet, the deep end maybe 8 feet deep.

I have been doing some preliminary research online, and find that most pool-to-pond conversions consist of raising the floor of the "pond" up to decrease the volumne of water. They usually extend the bottom drain up (for future use) through a load of pea gravel, plumb the new filter, then lay a new floor.
I don't think I would like to do that extensive a redo- ultimately resale of the house must always be kept in the back of your mind. Not that I forsee a move, but property values always count.

I guess most of my questions are about the surface of the pool- marcite is ok for fish?
If it is just a matter of new pump/new filter/add plants/add koi then I'm all for it. If I have to resurface the pool first I'm gonna swim another few years before I gunk it up with fish.

Here's a photo of the pool...
Yes, it receives full sun all day. I know I'll need lots of plants, a net cover for predators, and maybe even a shade providing structure of some sort. That can be sorted out later.
My questions are more in the line of a feasibility/cost study :D

temp.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store