Too many snails?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
In my 10 gallon I have 47 small gold mystery snails,11 big brown mystery snails,1 blue mystery snails,1 albino mystery snail, and 1 tiny trapdoor snail. The gold snails are no longer then the tip of my pinkie,the brown snails are about 1-1.5 inch,the blue is about 1 inch, the albino snail is about 1.5 inch, the trapdoor snail is about .5 inch. Before you say anything I must say something. All of these snails except the blue,albino mystery, and the trapdoor were unexpected babies. What should I do? I have a 20 gallon high I could put some of the snails in.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Snails do not care if they are crowded, as long as they have food. Keep them in the 10.

PS--Why do you have some many snails??

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Ok,thanks. To answer your question,I originally had a 2 snails and apparently they were boy and girl. Then came the babies. The mom then died and I bought another snail to fill in the void and it was a girl. So then came some more babies. The brown and gold were the babies.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
So it was the mystery snails that bred. I thought mystery snails lay eggs above the water-line. You can remove, or move the egg clusters.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Yes they lay above the water level but I can't tell a lie. I did try to breed them and raise the babies a few times, most times i failed and I only succeed 1 time. The gold mystery snails were born alive I think. Just last night I removed 5 egg clutches and I had to smoosh them :(.

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
That's a pretty heavy bioload.... mysteries have a big one for snails.
What are your parameters?

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Not sure, I'll check tomorrow. I'll check it after 2 water changes. Yeah after TWO water changes.
Oh my gosh, I just realized I just hit 600 posts!!!

Reactions: Anders247

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Whenever you got a problem or suspect a problem it is always good to test before the WC. Don't retest what was close to zero, but just the parameters that were too high after the WC.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I am willing to rehome a dozen or 2 of the baby golden snails. I could trade 2 dozen of the gold mystery snails at my lfs when they grow bigger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store