Too soon to move cory fry to main tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bradleyp

AC Members
Feb 8, 2011
I have 6 panda cory fry that hatched between 3/30 and 4/1. They are currently in a net breeder inside my main tank. I have been feeding them Hikari First Bites since they finished their yolk sacks. They have grown some, but still seem really tiny...I would say the biggest is somewhere around 1/2 inch long but fully formed. They are very lively and have pretty good appetites for the First Bites and an occasional crumb broken off of a veggie wafer. I am wondering if it is too soon to let them out of the net and into the tank with the rest of my fish (Lemon Tetras, Black Skirt Tetras, Otocinclus, Mystery Snails, and of course, the Panda Parents) or if I should leave them in the net and continue with the First Bites until they get to a certain size.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
If they're too big to be swallowed whole by any of your fish then there should be no problems. But when you're talking about Catfish with their fin spines be extra sure, because if a fish tries to but can't you stand a good chance of losing both of the involved fish.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Give some info about the tank they will be going in to. Is it heavily planted where they are able to stay pretty hidden? If so, I think you would be ok.
If not, I would wait. That is still pretty small. Mostly worried about them being eaten versus not being able to find food.

bradleyp

AC Members
Feb 8, 2011
I wouldn't call it heavily planted. a couple of smallish Amazon swords, Anubias, marimo balls, wisteria, and moneywort. There's also a couple of flower pots and a small cave for additional cover. The more I think about it though, I'm probably going to leave them in the net for at least another week. I don't want to rush them and risk losing them. I also have a Bolivian Ram that needs to be moved to that tank and I'm a bit worried about him being a bit too aggressive for the little ones since he has already exhibited aggression towards all the other community members...that's why he is in the time-out tank right now.

As for feeding the fry after I do add them to the main tank, should I continue to dose with the First Bites or would the regular flakes, wafers, bloodworms and brine shrimp that I feed the other fish be sufficient?

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
My experience has been that when they got big enough for me to SEE them...lol...they were fine on reg flake. Since you are putting them in a community setting I think I would feed a little heavy just to make sure they are not being out competed for food. But, they should be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store