Top Fin 30 filter.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I realize these are the ghetto filters of the segment :D, but I figured I would post my experience with one so far.

Pros:

1) Documentation and setup was simple.
2) They're relatively inexpensive.
3) Made in the USA.
4) Lifetime warranty.

Cons:

1) There's very little room downstream of the filter cartridge using them as designed. Less than a 1/2" slot is all you got. The only thing downstream of the mechanical filter cartridge is a thin black bio sponge, mashed between the filter cartridge and filter outlet.
2) Not the quietest. The motor is silent, but after a few days of use, the impeller is making a cavitation type noise like you see posted so commonly these days with Aqua Clears or the likes. The noise doesn't bother me, as I need it to sleep (been a shift-worker for ~20yrs).

Are there any proven DIY filter/bio media offerings for the ghetto fin... er.. Top Fin HOB line?

Thanks!

Joel

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
I use a slab of filter sponge that I sliced from an AquaClear style replacement.

I'd not run out to purchase a Top Fin filter, but that's because I don't like to pay for cartridges, not because of the quality of the product. For free, I'll use as many as I can get.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store