Top Fin Tanks any good?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Malachite

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Gambusia said:
The big chain stores in US are usually cheaper than the LFS stores.

My LFS carry Perfecto and All Glass only.

I live in North Carolina.

(Cool. Fellow NC person. I live in Clayton.)

Now for the related part. I have had my 75G TopFin tank for a a few months now with no problems. I also got mine from PetSmart. The tank itself has no issues at all. The light that came with it is a very basic one at only 40Watts. Other than tha one item I am making no changes to mine. I have heard that Oceanic makes some of the best tanks. Never had one so I don't really know about them.

bigfishguy

AC Members
Feb 8, 2005
buffalo ny
AGA does use thicker glass then perfecto or top finn....
but its unecessary..there glass is slightly thicker.....
125 AGA probably wieghs 5-7 pounds more then a perfecto or top finn....

but perfectos and top finns are alot cheaper....

All three are excellent brands...

AGA is a little tougher but for a higher price....
But any leaks are due to manufacturing malfunctions or shipping problems if it leaks in like a month.....

ur tank should last yrs and yrs....

OH ANOTHER IMPORTANT THING IS AGA`S WARRANTY LASTS A YEAR........

PERFECTOS LASTS 10 YEARS I BELIVE SO CHECK THAT OUT WHEN PURCHASING

Karnaaj

AC Members
Jan 7, 2005
Cincinnati, Oh
The thickness of the glass is very important, especially as the tanks get bigger in size. Thats the main reason why I won't buy a perfecto tank. They seem to push the edge too much in order to save a little money.

adgolde

AC Members
Feb 9, 2005
Kentucky
i just recently bought a topfin 55 gallon kit at petsmart, and it works fine, best tank ive ever had, although i did buy an Aqua Clear 500, (kit includes filter, but never hurts to have to much filtration) i strongly recommend these tanks. :D

montanaxvi

AC Members
Oct 1, 2004
Columbus, OH
PetsMart does not make their own tanks, chances are that TopFin you bought IS in fact an AGA branded tank. Speaking from personal experience on this one since I got an AGA tank inside the box of the 10gal TopFin kit I bought for my betta. Look around MOST of the time a 10gallon kit can be had from an LFS for slightly cheaper than he $40-50 PetsMart charges for their kit. Example my local PetsMart has the kit for like $39.99 or $49.99 includes filter hood light heater etc, just add fish water and decorations. Jack's Pets a LFS has their own small kit with an AGA branded tank as well for around $27.99 or 29.99 if I recall correctly. Bought the PetsMart one too long ago to worry about taking it back....not to mention it has fish in it and that just does not seem feasible to empty to save $10-20 on a setup.

brack1008

Registered Member
Nov 17, 2005
North Carolina
I am sorry to bring this thread back, but I found the post about a week ago when I was looking for information on the Top Fin brand that Petsmart carries in their stores. I was in a local Petsmart yesterday and they had a 55 and 75 gallon Top Fin aquarium on display. Both of them had the Top Fin insert taped to the inside of the tank, however the cardboard base surrounding both tanks had the Marineland name and slogan on it and under that it said Manufactured by Perfecto. The glass top and light that they came with also were in Perfecto boxes. Upon closer inspection of the 75 gallon tank they had the Perfecto anchor also displayed where it said inspected by whom ever. So at least this batch of Top Fin aquariums was made by Perfecto for Petsmart.

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
brack1008 said:
I am sorry to bring this thread back, but I found the post about a week ago when I was looking for information on the Top Fin brand that Petsmart carries in their stores. I was in a local Petsmart yesterday and they had a 55 and 75 gallon Top Fin aquarium on display. Both of them had the Top Fin insert taped to the inside of the tank, however the cardboard base surrounding both tanks had the Marineland name and slogan on it and under that it said Manufactured by Perfecto. The glass top and light that they came with also were in Perfecto boxes. Upon closer inspection of the 75 gallon tank they had the Perfecto anchor also displayed where it said inspected by whom ever. So at least this batch of Top Fin aquariums was made by Perfecto for Petsmart.

I have a 2.5 gallon that I bought at Petstupid, and the glass top that came with it says Marineland. Yet the tank carries no brand tag at all. Either way, it's solid. Then again, it's only a 2.5 gallon.

But I did have a bad experience with a Top Fin 2.5g acrylic hex. Hence, I replaced it with glass. The hex cracked after a few weeks. Petstupid refunded my money without question, so I can at least say they take care of you if you have a problem.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store