Total loss, every fish, I have no idea what happened

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
i am sorry for your losses!! that must have been really terible to return to.

As it has been stated, ammonia and nitrIte should always read 0. NitrAte can read up to 30 (depending on a bunch of factors).

your ammonia might have spiked due to the dead fish.

did you do anything to the tank the day before? clean the filters, change water, scrub algae. clean the glass? use a cleaning product near the tank? tons of things could have happened, including a broken heater that got stuck and continually tried to heat your tank.

test your water source to make sure your levels are fine and then i would suggest doing several water changes in hopes that your fishy friends can pull through.

-chris

lookit

AC Members
Jun 9, 2009
OK
I'm so sorry for you loss. Hope your few remaining pals pull through.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Sorry for your loss.

Cloudy water would suggest a cycle taking place and was a bacterial bloom. The question then becomes why? Something had to have been added or changed. It doesn't happen for no apparent reason to my knowledge. Did anyone spray an insecticide, air freshener, paint, glass cleaner, etc inside the house or nearby? Spill a dab of bleach or ammonia? Did some one clean rugs or do painting nearby? Any chance you had a death you never noticed, like a snail or other fish?

If you solve this, please let us know what you found.

leocom2000

AC Members
Dec 27, 2007
Another thought. Did the water temp go above 90 deg F at some point? That could wipe out the bacteria.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store