Toxic Corals?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chris331

AC Members
Hi, I'm new to the reef side of things and was given some coral frags and I didn't get too much info on them...

I think one is a zoanthid, a leather coral, some kind of rock coral i think, and a green coral that looks like grass? (sorry).

as i tried to identify these, i read that zoas can be toxic and that many corals can sting and carry toxins. what are the dangers to humans? what are the dangers to my fish? are all coral potentialy dangerous?

thanks.

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
While fragging zoos or palythoas, it is a good idea to wear gloves. I know some people that go as far as to wear eye goggles. But the number of instances are rare. And you dont really have to worry about anything else.
Some types of lps will give you a rash if you are allergic and some anemones have a good sting, but nothing too bad.
Many types of corals such as leathers are able to release toxins as a form of chemical warfare with other corals but they wont hurt you. RUnning carbon in your tank would take care of them. And most others are able to sting each other so it is a good idea to keep them out of reach of each other.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store